Chapter 22: Outer Space

Luckily for you, the rest of the group made it back to the Regalia and drove to the nearest motel, worried that the recent events and the rain had taken a toll on your health. You recovered from your little fever overnight with the assistance of Ignis and Iris. Noctis never left your side, despite assuring him you were fine. The unconvinced look he gave was enough indication he wasn't going to leave you alone any time soon. You slept for the rest of the drive to Cape Caem, much to your dismay, encouraging Noctis to continue his helicopter care.

Monica and Dustin did wonders in making the old shack liveable as a temporary home. Talcott was over the moon when you all arrived, relieving you of Helicopter Noctis' watchful eyes and allowing you to retreat to your shared room with Iris. Monica came in not too long after to give you some water and cold medicine. If you weren't resting, you were caught staring out into space, having pieced together the various past memories that constantly reappeared in your sleep. You knew what you had to do, but you also knew no one would be happy in you carrying it out. You refused to share anything further than what transpired in the confrontational family reunion with your cousins. You already feared that Hale had shared too much, and you were well aware that Noctis was the most curious to know what was going on. The constant worry that danced in his crystal eyes broke you. It wasn't meant to be like this. I was only meant to tag along. Not fall... You stopped your inner thoughts, not wanting to say the rest, even though no one would hear them.

It was dawn when you got out of bed from another restless night. Now that the Mythril had been delivered to him, Cid was working tirelessly to get the boat fixed. Feeling a walk and some fresh air would do you some good, you got dressed and freshened up in the bathroom, greeting Monica and Dustin on your way out of the house. They offered you a quick bite, which you declined politely, wanting to clear your mind if even just a little before the others woke, assuring them you'd be back for breakfast. You knew they were worried, but you had no idea how to ease them.

Looking around and breathing in the morning sea breeze air, you decided to watch the sunrise at the top of the lighthouse. The wind was rather cold, but the view just made it all worthwhile. You watched in awe of the beautiful gradient of warm colors, your mind instantly going back to when you were younger and asked your Uncle what the sunrise looked like from the top of the mountains. You laughed to yourself as you brushed your hair away from your face, remembering how Matias said he hoped there was a bounty of the dessert he tasted in the main city.

The sun was about to officially separate from the sea when the sound of the elevator in operation caught your attention. You turned to see a half-awake Noctis with a small picnic basket exiting the elevator. You watched him with curiosity as he yawned before looking up, giving you a lazy smile.

"Mornin'," Noctis greeted mid-yawn, making you laugh.

"Morning," You greeted, "I thought His Majesty doesn't like waking up early?"

"Iris kinda woke us up freaking out that you disappeared," Noctis explained, walking up to you.

"Oops," You grimaced, "I guess I forgot to leave a note,"

"It's okay," Noctis said casually, waving your apology away, "The view up here is kinda worth it," He added with a smile, making you cock your head at him in confusion.

"Didn't peg you to be a sunrise admirer," You commented, turning to face the sea again. Hearing Noctis chuckle to himself, you turned to see him shaking his head as he joined you at the railing.

"It's nice once in a while. Not all the time though," Noctis sighed, "Monica prepared this for you and everyone nominated me to be the delivery pigeon,"

"Oh? Thank you," You thanked politely, "I was planning on coming back in time," You paused thinking for a few seconds, "Unless I missed breakfast already? How long have I been up here for? I have to apologize to Monica and Dustin!" You frantically kept rambling, trying to string together a decent apology to both of them.