Chapter 33: Promises

A white ceiling greeted Noctis when we awoke from his slumber. He forced himself to sit up, despite feeling sore all over. The first thing he noticed was Ignis, who was sitting on one of the armchairs nearby. Noctis also realized Ignis wasn't the only one in the room, for something light and soft brushed against his hand, causing the dazed King to look down. Hearing the tinker of metal hitting each other confirmed the cat was Elena. Her eyes looked sad as he stared back at her, making him bite his bottom lip. He knew why but a part of him didn't want to admit it.

"You're awake," Ignis observed, standing up and walking towards the end of the bed.

"You and the rest all right?" Noctis asked, feeling a lump in his throat.

"I'm fine. Though I should be asking you the same," Ignis replied.

"And everyone else?"

"... everyone is fine," Why did you hesitate Ignis?

"And (Your Name)?" Noctis dared to ask.

"After the trial. She disappeared. Her whereabouts are unknown," Ignis' words cut Noctis deeply. Were you alive? Or had you passed? Should he hold on to the hope that you were potentially hiding somewhere safe to recover? The dream of him with you in Lahsa seemed so real. The tingling sensation of your last kiss was still lingering on his lips.

A sad meow broke through Noctis' thoughts. Elena nuzzled her head on the side of his leg, patting his left wrist with her paw. He looked to see your bracelet was wrapped around his wrist. Noctis wasn't sure whether it was due to his sorrow, but he couldn't help but notice the beautiful white bead in the middle that represented you, seemed dull. He brought his left wrist to his face, pressing his lips to the bracelet, his body trembling in fear. He had no idea where you were or what to do. Everything leading up to the summoning gave him every reason to be worried. There were many signs that things were going to change from then onwards. What he had hoped for was that after everything was done, he would be rewarded with the safety and happiness of those around him.

"Elena..." Noctis whispered. Elena's eyes shone with tears as she looked up at him. He knew she was just as shattered as he was. While he had lost his lover, she had lost her only female companion and a family member. Words failed him as he shook his head and lay back down, wishing that once he closed his eyes you would be there.

The rest of the day was spent resting with Luna healing him, despite looking quite exhausted and run down herself. Noctis knew she had promised you to see to it he recovered fully afterward. It bothered him that everyone was treading carefully when mentioning you as if you died. Noctis refused to believe you had died so suddenly. Most especially since Ignis said himself that you suddenly disappeared after he and Hale reached what was left of the Altar. He knew everyone else would say he was in denial, but the warmth from the last kiss he shared with you told him that last conversation wasn't a dream. Not to mention through all the chaos, he knew you gave him the bracelet during that dream; it would have been near impossible for you during the battle.

"Noctis-sama?" Luna called from behind the door.

"Yes, Luna?" Noctis replied. She entered the room, closing the door behind her. Noctis watched her as she remained standing at the door, her eyes closed as if trying to figure out what she was going to say. This was not something Noctis was used to seeing. Luna was always sure of herself.

"Luna?" Noctis called, "What's wrong?"

Luna took a deep breath and walked slowly over to him. He stared into her sky blue eyes and knew healing him to full health was taking its toll on her. She held out her hand which had something small clasped deep within her palm. Noctis held out his own to receive whatever she was going to give to him, his stomach plummeting when an all too familiar heirloom was placed on his palm: the Ring of Lucis. He felt the weight of its power as it sat in his palm.