Chapter 10: Birthday Present

You tossed and turned in bed, blushing to yourself. The warmth of Noctis' cheek against your lips made you squirm in a mixture of embarrassment and glee. It was worse than everyone's attention on you when you blew out your candles. Majority of the party witnessed the moment and the teasing smiles that followed were unbearable. You weren't exactly sure why you did it, but you most definitely could not forget the surprise on Noctis' face before Iris dragged you away excitedly.

Deciding that perhaps some fresh air might do you some good, you tip-toed carefully towards the balcony. Mentally cursing when it creaked when you opened the balcony door, you peeked over to see if you had woken Iris. Seeing no sudden movement from your room-mate, you proceeded to the balcony and let the warm air wash over you. Although Lestallum was humid, the air was quite refreshing with the morning breeze. You opened your eyes gazing at the peaceful night that blanketed the town. It was almost hard to believe that daemons were most likely prowling in the uninhabited areas.

The sound of the balcony door next door opening caught your attention, revealing the very reason for your restless sleep.

Noctis carefully closed the door behind him, stretching a little before leaning against the railing of the balcony. He seemed lost in thought, not noticing you standing on the balcony next door. You watched as he combed his hair with a hand, taking something out of his pocket with his other and looking down at it. It was too dark to see what it was, but your curiosity was getting the better of you. The dim lights of the balcony were all you had for light, and they were only good to you if Noctis held whatever he was looking at, up against the lamp itself.

"(Your Name)," Noctis whispered to himself as he gazed at whatever was in his hand.

"Yes Noct?" You asked, forgetting he had no idea you were there. Noctis almost dropped whatever he was holding in shock. He turned to see you standing there in your pajamas - an oversized shirt and tiny shorts.

"Uh hey?" Noctis greeted awkwardly, immediately sticking his hands in the pockets of his sweatpants.

"Hi?" You weren't doing well in hiding your confusion.

"What... are you doing up so late... or early?" Noctis asked awkwardly, slowly walking up to the edge of his balcony. Your balconies were only several feet apart, but the railing made it feel like he was further away.

"I couldn't really sleep," You replied honestly.

"Not enough excitement from celebrating today?" A smirk appearing on Noctis' face, "Such a party animal,"

"Oh no! Today was a lot more than I could ever hope for!" You bit your lip and looked down, not really knowing how else to explain your happiness. It was your turn to get a shock for when you looked back up, a pair of crystal grey eyes, less than a few inches from yours greeted you. There was always something enchanting about them, but seeing them up close you could see hints of confliction, despite the amusement that flashed from them earlier. The way Noctis' hair danced in the breeze that passed as he leaned back against the railing of your balcony, with his hands still in his pockets, had you staring at him in awe. You saw a smirk form on his handsome face.

"I thought you'd be used to me warping by now,"

You scoffed, rolling your eyes. "I know you can warp Your Majesty," He frowned a little, "I just wonder whether this exact spot is where you want to be right now,"

"It is," His answer was so simple and straightforward. What reason could he possibly have to warp over? He already seemed comfortable on his own balcony. "I do have a reason for coming over to your balcony though," He confused you when he held out his left hand towards you, "May I?"