Chapter 50: Bittersweet

Noctis slowly made his way up the stairs to the throne. Your heart thrashed against your rib cage as you watched from the bottom of the staircase. A pang of pride washed over you as Noctis reached the throne, caressing the arm lightly before turning around and locking eyes with you, as he sat down. He looked absolutely perfect on the throne, yet now came the responsibility. Unknown to your precious King, you had made your decision, and you weren't too sure whether he'd like the outcome or not.

You watched Noctis carefully as he spoke silently to himself. Taking a large breath, he summoned his beloved engine sword and struck it on the floor in front of him, gripping the hilt with both hands. "Kings of Lucis," He began. You held your breath as one by one, silver silhouettes of the previous reigning Kings materialized around him. King Regis appearing first in his human form, leaning against the arm of the throne with his back to Noctis. "Come to me!" Noctis commanded.

You felt your breath leave you as each of the twelve Kings of Lucis struck Noctis, leaving him weaker than the one before. King Regis' wispy silhouette remained leaning against the arm of the very throne he once sat on, facing away from Noctis in angst. He was the final of the twelve to strike Noctis. Whereas you knew King Regis was hesitant. You didn't blame him - the prophecy had practically demanded he raise Noctis as a sacrifice. The love that shone in King Regis' eyes, on that fateful day the group left Insomnia, was proof enough there was no way he would be able to deliver the final blow and send his only son to the afterlife.

"Father... Trust in me..." You heard Noctis say weakly, forcing himself to sit back up. You watched intently, seeing King Regis look in your direction. His wispy eyes locked with yours. You gave a small nod, your eyes were becoming blurry with tears, seeing the relief wash over the previous King's expression. A gust of energy surrounded you as you summoned your staff to its full form - almost twice your height and detailed with the same elegant carvings as the Oracle's magnificent trident.

You could feel your beloved King's gaze on you. The energy you emitted would have definitely gained his attention, even in his weakened state. Your eyes moved from King Regis to his son, seeing Noctis' eyes wide in worry, his grip loosening on his sword. You slowly shook your head, hoping he would remain seated on the throne.

"(Your Name)... What are you up to?" Noctis' weakened voice was only above a whisper, but you heard him loud and clear.

"Me joining you boys was no mere coincidence," You answered tenderly.

"You don't share the same fate as me," Worry laced Noctis' words.

"I know. But I refuse to allow you to carry such a burden on your shoulders," You replied, holding your staff to the right of you, not once breaking eye contact with Noctis.

Noctis' expression clearly indicated his reluctance to let you continue. However, the clashes of metal and groans of your companions battling from outside could be heard. You knew he could no longer ignore the anguish the others would face should he prolong his duty.

"You cannot forsake all of Eos for the one person, my King," You pushed with a faint smile, as more energy surged from you, causing the white orbs to circulate at a faster pace.

"I know... my Queen," Noctis replied, before closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "Father..." He said, the authority in his voice telling King Regis he was well and truly ready. King Regis' silhouette darted to float midair in between yourself and Noctis, transforming into a lightning Kingly figure, like the Kings previous to him.

This... is it.

Gripping your staff tightly in your left hand, you quietly chanted to yourself, causing the flurry of white orbs circulating around you to stand still and glow brightly around you. Had it been a completely different situation, the wonderful bright glow from the orbs surrounding you would have appeared quite romantic. But in this case, it was bittersweet.

With your gaze never breaking from your beloved King, you watched Noctis' eyes widen as you charged toward him with one mighty leap over Noctis' engine blade. Noctis broke his grip on his sword for a few seconds, allowing you to land comfortably on his lap. Your right hand firmly holding your staff to the floor, in front of Noctis' engine blade.

"(Your Name)?" Noctis asked curiously. Before Noctis could say anything more, you pressed your lips to his, sensing King Regis' energy charging towards you both. You felt King Regis' sword pierce right through you, and reaching Noctis as well. The power that surged through the sword was overwhelming. How Noctis managed being struck by such force eleven times was beyond you; the pain of one was excruciating. You closed your eyes and tucked your face in Noctis' neck, hearing his quick breaths. He was beyond exhausted, but his slowing heartbeat told you what was coming next. You smiled to yourself as you let the remainder of your life force be absorbed into your staff, losing the feeling of your body in the process.

"I'll see you there Noct..." You whispered, feeling something wet drop onto your cheek. "Please don't cry my King,"

"I'm not," You knew Noctis was lying. His weak voice trembled as he spoke.

Your grip on your staff loosened, your eyes slowly closing. You knew the final battle awaited the both of you. You could hear Noctis mumbling something but it wasn't clear. You wanted to ask what Noctis had said, but before you could even try to muster up the energy to speak, a sharp pain pierced right through the exact same spot as King Regis' sword. You let out a gasp in agony and let the darkness surround you.