Chapter 21: Joy Ride

You crossed your arms waiting for a response.

As far as you were concerned, you had every right to know.

"Why are you so desperate to know when that's all in the past?" Hale always hated playing games. He was always the type to cut straight to the chase and get things over and done with. Yet why was he reluctant to let anything past his lips about your escape as kids?

"I haven't seen any of you for 12 years and you think I'll just waltz right back to your side?"

"That's generally what family does,"

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?" You lost it. "AT LEAST YOU THREE HAD EACH OTHER DAMN IT! I HAD NO ONE! I'M BLOODY LUCKY THAT THANKS TO THE IMMORTAL I WAS ADOPTED BY A GLAIVE AND HIS WIFE!"

You felt a hand press against the small of your back, while another grabbed you by the shoulder. You relaxed a little knowing who it was and took a deep breath, still staring ahead at your cousins. Elena and Matias were shocked by your outburst, but guilty.

Wondering where they were or whether they were alive plagued your nights, making you restless and unable to sleep. You became more introverted towards anyone else but your adoptive parents. They often took you on road trips to visit some friends in Hammerhead. When your adoptive mother passed away from illness, you spent your summers in Hammerhead allowing more interaction with people and enabling your adoptive father to work for both your livelihoods. That is until he was killed in action. You were finally enjoying an ounce of bliss, only to be thrown into a tornado of emotions from your past catching up to you. They were your family, but they felt more like strangers to you.

Hale stood in silence, his eyes betraying how his body acted. He breathed heavily clenching his fist.

"Oniichan... Perhaps we should..." Elena began, only to stop speaking when Hale raised his hand to silence her.

"You are risking your life for someone who won't ever be able to return what lies in your heart." Hale said, "Are you willing to live with that for the rest of your life?"

"If that is the only thing that concerns you. I'm better off remaining with these guys. At least they want me to have some fun in this life. No matter how short you think it's going to be," Hale's eyes flashed sorrow at your last sentence. You knew then that what he was concerned about, wasn't so much your supposed relationship with Noctis - it was what your mother had prophecized months prior to Lahsa being attacked.

Just as you predicted earlier, it began to rain, yet you and Hale continued your wordless argument. You knew he was worried, you knew that he didn't want you to continue, but he also knew, he wouldn't be able to stop you.

Not wanting the others to get sick, you turned to Noctis and nodded to him.

"Onee? Where are you going?" Matias asked, looking from his older brother to you. You were still pissed but didn't necessarily want to take it out on the younger two. Hale was their saving grace and he no doubt did a lot to ensure they would grow up strong and healthy in their parents' place.

"Well, thanks to Oniichan's inability to answer questions. My clothes are now all wet. So are His Majesty's and the rest of Royal Entourage," You pointed out, looking from Matias to Hale now, "Since we all need a change of clothes now, I think I'll give His Majesty that joy ride I owe him. Might as well do something fun before I return him to his fiancé," Matias' jaw dropped, Elena bit her lip in amusement at your tasteless comment, and Hale was livid. Your comment wasn't necessary, but you needed Hale to realize you didn't need him protecting you, nor did you appreciate him assuming you were weak.

Before leaving the clearing, you tossed Elena a small pouch.

"Take that. Get yourselves more curatives, a place to stay and some food. I can tell you've been ruffing it out as beasts. Remember you're human too," You said, leaving everyone speechless as you walked off.