59. Wonder

But her face turned troubled, and Gilbert asked, "What is it?"

"Nothing. Nothing. I'm so sorry about your mother. It's awful." Anne said.

"Yeah. Um, thanks," Gilbert said. "I don't talk about it much. It just is what it is, you know?"

Anne, trying to find a good thing in a bad situation, said, "I suppose it's a very noble way to die, though, giving your life for your child's..."

Gilbert found that statement a bit off-putting, but told himself that she meant well.

But he watched her, concerned. He could see her thinking, when he looked at her eyes he could see wheels turning, but couldn't piece together what worry had suddenly come to her mind. And of course he couldn't know-

"Have you ever witnessed a baby being born?" Anne asked, the question bursting out suddenly and rather loudly.

"Sure, lots," Gilbert answered.

This surprised Anne.

She was almost afraid to ask, but she had to: "What's it like?

"It's...amazing. Seeing a new life coming into the world...it's messy, and looks awfully uncomfortable, but...still. There's nothing else like it."

"And you've really watched all that?"

"Yeah," Gilbert replied. "I've even help deliver them."

Anne was shocked at how casually he said this, as if it were just a common, ordinary fact to be thrown around.

She said, "You've actually delivered babies?"

"Sure. As incredible as it is, birth is a difficult and dangerous thing- cows can't always do it on their own, and sometimes there are problems with the birth, so you have to get the calf positioned right and....what's wrong?"

Anne stared at him.

"What?"

"Humans, Gilbert, humans! I'm asking about humans! Have you ever been present at a birth?"

"Just my own," Gilbert joked.

Anne didn't laugh.

"Why do you want to know, anyway? What's the sudden interest in childbirth?"

Anne took a shuddery breath.