78. Reaction

Billy didn't know what to do. He just stared at her.

She'd said intimate relations...right in the middle of the school room.

She was talking about Prissy again.

Had she seen more? He didn't want to think of Prissy doing something like that, especially with their teacher.

But he felt he had to know what Anne had seen. ...Fido. Whatever.

He'd seen Prissy and Mr. Phillips kiss almost a week ago, now, but he still hadn't done anything about it or told anyone. ...He just didn't know what to do about it.

But after what he'd seen, he now knew that Anne wasn't spreading lies...there was some kernel of truth to what she had said.

It made him uncomfortable to know that he had done...well, that...to her, if what she'd said was actually true.

He didn't feel regretful, exactly- After all, even if what she said was true, she still shouldn't have said it, and he had to get her to stop talking about Prissy.

But then he had another thought, this one even more disturbing to him: Maybe when she said intimate relations she wasn't talking about Prissy. Maybe she was talking about him.

If she was talking about him, if she was telling the girls what he had done to her, he needed a plan. Something to discredit her. It was even more urgent that he get her to stop.

But what could he do? Gilbert was always with her. There was almost no chance of catching her alone.