37. Dinner Conversation

After the doctor left, Anne laid the table for dinner. She tried to help Marilla in the kitchen, but was shooed away on account of her arm.

When Matthew came in, they all sat down to a steaming dinner of roast beef and gravy, carrots, and quartered potatoes.

Unlike yesterday, Anne seemed chipper. After the doctor's visit, she was full of nervous energy, which made her jittery and talkative.

In fact, she couldn't stop talking.

"I had no idea how fascinating birds were, Matthew, until I read your book! Of course birds are perfectly lovely creatures- I always knew that- but I had no idea how complicated and full their lives were. If you can look past the fact that they eat grubs and worms-"

"Anne," Marilla cut in. "We are eating dinner."

"Oh, sorry," Anne bumbled on. "I wonder if birds would think our food was unmentionable? I suppose they wouldn't, would they? If you eat worms then I suppose there isn't really much that would hinder your appetite, I-"

Marilla cut her off. "Anne, if you say the word 'worm' one more time, I'll ask you to leave the table."

"Marilla, I wasn't thinking at all, forgive me," Anne said passionately.

Then she jumped into her next thought, "You know who I feel sorry for? Pigeons."

Matthew laughed at this unexpected declaration.

"Well, I do," Anne said. "Imagine being a pigeon. Imagine everywhere you go, people say, 'oh, ew, a pigeon'. Nobody wants pigeons around, do they? But they're not so very different from any other bird. They're even pretty, if you choose to see it. Some of them are, anyway. Don't you think so?"

"I can't say I've ever found pigeons to be attractive," Marilla answered. "And I am quite relieved for them to be a city bird."

"I'm glad I don't live in the city. I suppose if you live in the city and see pigeons everywhere then you stop seeing them. I mean really seeing them. Seeing their own unique beauty. They become a pest, a nuisance. But if you don't live in the city, then you don't-"

"I don't live in the city and I still don't see any beauty in them," Marilla interrupted. "Whenever I've gone to the city they're just everywhere, clustered around your feet, trying to grab crumbs from your grocery basket, leaving their waste upon every surface. I wish the city could do something about them." Marilla shook her head at the inconvenience.

"Well, pigeons aren't for everybody, I guess," Anne finally relented.

Matthew laughed again.

"But, oh! The book made me so happy to live in a world where there are birds. They were the very first musicians, don't you agree?"

Matthew smiled at her across the table, admiring her determination to be positive.

Matthew never said much, but to Anne, his smile meant more than all the words in the world.

Anne went on, "I always feel my heart lifted up in song when I hear one making its gorgeous melodies in the springtime- it's really what makes spring feel like spring, isn't it?"

Marilla finally nodded. "I'll give you that. I do love to hear the birds chirping and know that spring is finally on its way."

"And no tree was ever more picturesque than when it has birds all nestled among its branches...don't you just adore the word 'nestled'? It has such a warm, cozy sound to it. I often wonder what it feels like to be a bird and sleep in the trees, among the blossoms, all fragrant! And imagine flying. I'd give anything to be able to soar through the air, free and unencumbered." She sighed. "Birds don't even know how lucky they are."

"Anne, your food is going to get cold if you don't stop your chattering and eat."