191. Sign of the Times

"I can't believe you think money is an appropriate way to handle this," Marilla said huffily as they drove away from the Andrews' home.

"I don't," Matthew said. "I just felt it wasn't up to us."

After a moment, he said, "We don't know how Anne would feel about it, and it's her feelings we ought to be considering."

Marilla didn't say anything. She thought that made sense, but she didn't want to think he was right.

"But no, Marilla, I wanted to throttle his neck when he said the word 'compensation'."

Marilla was almost amused by this. "My, whatever happened to quiet, gentle Matthew!"

"He had a child." Matthew answered gruffly.

Marilla remarked, "I've heard having a child makes you feel things you've never felt before, but I didn't think one of them would be fury!"

"Just the thought of her being harmed..." Matthew said softly, shaking his head. His hands trembled as he held the reins.

Marilla smiled. Then she asked, "How's your back doing?"

"You knew it was bothering me?" he looked at her.

"Of course I did," she told him. "You're moving slow lately."

"I'm all right- just keeps tightening up on me," Matthew said. "Don't tell Anne, I think it's just..."

"Stress?" Marilla asked. "I've been tense, too. I notice muscles aching when I think about all this. I hope it will all come to an end soon."

They were quiet a moment.

"About the money," Marilla said.

"Hmm?"

"I suppose if there is a baby, then it would be all right for her to accept it. But otherwise..."

"She still can't be sure?" Matthew asked.

Marilla thought about it to herself first:

I told her about the early warning signs Rachel explained to me- feeling tender in the bosom, having swollen feet, an urgency to pass water, cravings or aversions to foods, and so on...and she said no...she said no to all the early signs, actually.

And while that certainly makes me feel better, I cannot feel rested because of her womanly flowering time. Anne only had that very first visit from Mother Nature. She told me that on the following month- the month just after the attack- she didn't have one at all. And then a couple of weeks ago she only had some light bleeding that she said wasn't the same as the first time. ...It's been three months now, but she's only had two times of bleeding....

I couldn't bear to tell her why I was asking about it. ...She knows that the bleeding is something that happens to your body to prepare for a baby, but she still doesn't know that a lack of bleeding indicates the presence of a baby.

Dr. Carter said that it may mean nothing- a young girl's cycles sometimes take a while to fall into a regular pattern. ...And stress can cause missed times, as well. I hope that's all it is.

If she misses it again, I suppose I'll have to tell her what that means. But for now- since she has no other symptoms at all- I'll wait and hope for the best

To Matthew, she said only, "No news yet, I'm afraid."

Matthew's face was lined with worry.

"I doubt there's a baby, Matthew, really," Marilla tried to assure him when she saw that he was rubbing his back again.