152. New Plan

Author Note- In this chapter Anne slept for 14 hours after talking to her family. This is based on real life. When I told my parents, everything felt SO changed from how I felt before, and that night I went to bed and I literally slept for fourteen hours straight. So Anne is too.

Also, if you're wondering why Gilbert's dad is still alive- in the tv show he died during this winter- well he can wait until sometime after my story is over because I don't want to write about him dying, I hate that the show killed him off in the first place- in the books he lives to see his grandkids!

Saturday morning Matthew and Marilla had breakfast alone. Anne was still in bed.

"You think we ought to wake her?" Marilla asked. "She's been asleep for nearly fourteen hours, Matthew. And that's not including the little nap she took before you brought dinner up to her. I've been in to check on her several times, and she's all right, but my goodness, you'd think she'd been drugged."

Matthew shook his head. "Let her be. If she's sleeping that long, she needs it."

They were quiet a moment, each thinking about their impending meeting with the Andrews, which Marilla had promised would be today at the Andrews house at about three o'clock.

"I suppose-" Matthew finally said- "I suppose we need to talk about today."

"Yes," Marilla agreed. "We must."

They both looked as though they didn't know how to begin.

Matthew shook his head. "I may hold my tongue often enough, Marilla, but I've got quite a few words stored up for the Andrews..."

Marilla said, trying to keep emotion at bay and speaking logically and practically: "I think- I think we- ah- we can't react in anger at the Andrews. We...we need to keep Anne's feelings in the forefront. After all, this is about her. We can't let our own feelings dictate how we respond-"

"I'm angry," Matthew said simply.

Marilla ran her hands along her skirt, in a nervous fashion. "I am too."

They were quiet a moment.

Then Marilla tried to go on, "But we mustn't act angry. If Anne sees us angry, she'll- she'll think she's caused us trouble. She'll feel we've been burdened by extra trouble on account of her, even though she didn't do anything."

"She might even think we're angry with her." Matthew pointed out.

"Right." Marilla said resolutely.

They were quiet a moment, then Marilla told him:

"It upset her a great deal when I got angry at Billy."

Matthew looked surprised.

Marilla explained, "When Anne first told me about her wrist, I think she was going to tell me about the rest of it, too, but I scared her off. I was so angry at Billy...and I think I scared her by reacting so angrily. She quickly tried to play it off as a small thing...she even told me that she thought Billy was nice."

Matthew shook his head, upset by that.

She took a deep breath. "So, we mustn't be angry with Billy right now. We must only show concern for Anne- keep our focus on her- and not be distracted by what we feel for him."

Matthew let out a slow breath. "It won't be easy."

"It won't," Marilla thought, "But at some point, she will probably begin to show anger at Billy herself."