131. It's Starting

At school, Josie seemed to be snapping at everyone for no reason, and Anne didn't want to put up with it. Anne wasn't exactly fond of Josie, but she longed for the approval and acceptance of the group of girls, so she kept her head down and didn't say anything.

When Ruby changed the conversation to boys, Anne was glad- not because she wanted to talk about boys, but because the topic seemed to put Josie in a better mood.

But then the inevitable happened- the topic of boys led to Billy.

Josie said, in a hushed tone, "His hair is just perfect, isn't it? It's never a bit out of place, no matter what he does."

She's right, Anne thought. His hair stays in place...no matter what he does.

Josie asked, in an excited voice, trying to be quiet, "Do you think Billy likes me? I mean really likes me? He called me pretty that day, before the Christmas break."

Ruby spoke up, "He called Anne pretty, too. Right after he said it to you, Josie."

Thanks a lot, Ruby, Anne said inwardly.

She knew that Ruby was holding on to the hope of Anne and Billy, because she didn't want to think that Anne had any chance with her beloved Gilbert.

Josie made a face, and Anne quickly spoke up, "I'm sure Billy said that just to be kind. He's...he's so nice that he probably just didn't want me to feel bad that you're so much prettier than me, Josie."

There, Anne thought. Maybe that will fix it.

Josie cocked her head, thinking. "That is true," she agreed. "But are you sure you don't like him yourself, Anne? You do stare at him a lot..."

"No, I don't!" Anne said hotly.

"You kind of do," Tillie said. "I've noticed it myself."

Anne looked around. Each girl was staring at her with interest. Her face flushed.

She suddenly got up. "I don't like him and I don't care to talk about him or any other boy in this class. They're ridiculous. This is a waste of time!"

She pushed her food back into her basket and stomped away. She went to her desk, pulled her magazine out, and went to the cloak room to eat by herself.

She was glad she had the magazine to read. Each time she borrowed a magazine from Gilbert's father, she brought it to school with her- she didn't like to leave them at home for Marilla to find, because she didn't think Marilla would approve of the content. They were usually strange, foolish stories- and sometimes scary.

She settled down with her magazine and tried to ignore everyone else. After a few minutes, Diana approached her, followed by Ruby.

Anne slowly looked up at them.

"Hi," Ruby said timidly.

"Hi," Anne answered.

"We want to come eat with you," Diana said. "Can we? Josie's got nothing to talk about except boys. And we don't care about that, do we, Ruby?"

Ruby shook her head, but Anne could tell she was clearly being cajoled into it.

Diana sat down, and then motioned for Ruby to as well.

Ruby glanced over at Josie, but then she sat down next to Diana, sighing.

"What have you got there?" Diana asked pleasantly.

"Oh," Anne said, sitting up and being excited to share with them. "Tales of the Mystifying. It's a fascinating publication. Every issue is full of stories about strange and mysterious things."