193. Another Step Closer

Note- literally had no idea what to call this chapter, but we are getting closer to the end, so there you go. Not much left now.

-

Gilbert had missed Anne today, he'd gone to Green Gables after school and no one was home. She was normally only away on Mondays and Wednesdays, so he was disappointed she was gone on a Tuesday, too. She hadn't told him they were going anywhere, but perhaps she didn't know.

That'll be three whole days without her, he thought as he turned away sadly. He never knew three days could be such a long time.

-

"Well, it's good we're taking the Andrew's money, after all," Marilla said with a touch of sarcasm, "Since you've promised Anne you're going to buy out the whole store for her!"

"I have not," Matthew defended. "I just gave some hints about what it might be."

"Yes, but none of your hints go together. We'll have to buy at least four or five things in order to meet all of the 'hints' you gave her. You know, we can't exactly afford 'surprises' at the moment. Things have been tight for us this year."

"I'm aware," he told her.

"So what do you think we should do- take her into town and I can go with her into a shop and keep her occupied there while you take the buggy on over to the Andrews?"

"I'll say I have to...buy something for the horses," Matthew said, "So she won't wonder why I went off on my own."

Marilla nodded slowly. "You know, this will be good, actually, because she hasn't been anywhere at all, and she's afraid to go into town. If we can lure her into town with a 'surprise', it will help her see that being out and about in the world isn't so scary after all."

"I just hope no one says anything to her," Matthew said sadly. "Marilla, keep her close by you so no one can say something to her that you won't hear."

"I will," Marilla said. "Now what in the world are our 'surprises' supposed to be?"

-

The next afternoon, Matthew and Marilla found that Anne no longer wanted her surprise.

"I don't want to go into town. I'm sure the surprise is perfectly lovely and generous and I'm exceedingly grateful- truly- but I'd rather not have it at all than go into town," she begged, "Please don't make me go!"

"Don't be silly. Matthew's planned a lovely surprise for you and you must go and get it," Marilla said firmly. "Here's your hat. It's warm enough for just your shawl now, you won't need your coat. In the buggy, now- let's go."

Anne could have cried. "But if I go into town people will look at me!"

"You're not the only person in town, Anne, there will be plenty of other things for people to look at besides you."

Anne stomped out of the kitchen.

Matthew and Marilla looked at each other. They went and got in the buggy. Anne was sitting in the middle with her arms crossed.

"I hope you know you're about to cause me a lifetime of shame," she said. "I will never forget this, as long as I live."

"Don't be so dramatic! You can't go the rest of your life without ever going into town," Marilla said firmly.

Anne did not say one word as they drove. Marilla always thought she'd enjoy some peace and quiet from Anne's usual chatter, but now she found herself wishing Anne would say something. She watched her as they drove. Anne's face gradually changed as they drove closer to town; her anger melted away into fear.