190. Holding the Cards

Tuesday's meeting was tense, more so for the Andrews than the Cuthberts'.

"So...regarding what to do. Now that we know the circumstances-"

"Now that you know what your son did, you mean." Marilla said flatly.

"Yes, well... We don't want this to be...unnecessarily complicated."

"What do you mean by that?" Marilla asked, already feeling defensive.

"When you threatened to take our son to court over this, we consulted with our personal attorney. And we've been told it's almost positive Billy would not be found guilty," Mr. Andrews said, just a hint of smugness to his voice.

Marilla and Matthew didn't know what to say to that, because unfortunately, Mr. Andrews was right.

Mr. Andrews said, "But, we'd rather it stay out of the courts, even though Billy would be found innocent of this."

"Oh, really?" Marilla remarked. She and Matthew had no plan to take Billy to court and put Anne through a trial, either, but she wasn't going to let the Andrews know that.

Mr. Andrews said, "A trial would be...unpleasant. For everyone, really. It would be in the papers...and I'm sure you don't want Anne having her name printed in the paper knowing that her claims will be dismissed as being untruthful. It won't look good for her."

"It'd be in the newspaper..." Marilla held onto that one little tidbit Mr. Andrews had briefly mentioned. She had not thought about newspaper coverage of a trial. "You don't care about Anne's name being in the paper- you just don't want Billy's name in it! You're just worried about his reputation! Not about the evil he's done, just about his own reputation. Well, it's good to know where your priorities are," Marilla said angrily.

"It would really just be in everyone's best interest to handle the matter privately, rather than doing anything to make it even more public than it's already become," Mrs. Andrews said softly. "If we could just handle it ourselves, between our two families..."

"How exactly do you think it should be handled, then, between us families, as you say?" Marilla asked, trying not to show how on edge she felt.

Mr. Andrews told them, "We think we can reach an agreement suitable to all...we are prepared to offer you compensation."

"Compensation?!" Marilla asked, her voice sharp.

"The matter could be easily smoothed over with a financial-"

Marilla was angry. "You think you can buy us off? Offering us 'hush money' so we won't bring your son to court?" she asked. "Well you can't. Your money won't do a bit of good to Anne."

"Perhaps not," Mrs. Andrews said humbly.

But Matthew put his hand out, touching Marilla's arm. Marilla looked back at him. "I don't feel we have a right to say no to it. It isn't for us, it's for Anne."

"Matthew, surely-"

"I don't want them to think money can fix anything, because it can't," Matthew explained, giving the Andrews a hard look. But to Marilla, he said: "But if Anne feels Billy owes her something for all the hardship he's put her though, then she ought to get whatever it is she feels she's owed. So let's let her make that decision."

Mrs. Andrews suggested, "We...we could put it in the bank. Under her name. And she can withdraw it if she so chooses. If she doesn't want it, she can...she can donate it to charity, or...or she can just leave it sitting in the bank forever. But it'll be there waiting if she ever needs it."