8. Werewolf Conference

The large hall was buzzing with people. Everybody was talking, having fun, helping in the kitchens, laughing. 

Our new pack members were here with us too, they were all sitting in different places, some looked very uncomfortable, others were at ease. The pack members were trying to make them feel more at home.

Since I got the Alpha title when I was not even a few days old, I was taught everything that was necessary for me to become a leader. I had classes for everything, from military operation and psychology. 

I had to learn everything I could possibly need during my service as an Alpha. I had to learn every packs' history, the names of the leaders, and how to communicate with the human world and keep the peace.

At least I was lucky enough to know I was going to be the Alpha from the beginning. Imagine having to learn all of this and the Moon Goddess not choose you for Alpha. 

Morgan had to learn some different things, like how to keep the peace inside the pack, how to be a messenger, what does the pack need.

We are like the president and the prime minister, I am the more public figure that helps in a more vague way and protects my people, Morgan is more the underground guy. He is there to always remember what the definite goal is. He is here to help me, he is essential to me, without him my pack wouldn't be this strong together.

When I turned to the official Alpha of the Blood Crest Pack, my brother and I had a very hard talk. It was very emotional, we were still shocked by the destruction of our home. 

He was mad at me for commanding him to hide in the trees. He wanted to help, but I didn't let him. It was a horrible fight. He told me some harsh things, he hates feeling useless and that day I did just that. 

When I told him I was protecting him, he got even more upset.

"I am your Beta and I was supposed to help you and the pack. It was my duty and you just made me feel like a nuance. I could hear our pack get hurt, I heard children get hurt, our friends got attacked and I couldn't do anything."

Since that day we go to family therapy at least twice a month. It was hard to get over all our pain. 

To make things worse, we were supposed to present ourselves in the Alpha's council and we had nothing prepared, we were supposed to show our people and the other Alpha's that we were here for a reason. 

And because of the attacks, we had in our hands the urgent need to change how things worked in our pack.

We had multiple choices to make: were we going to be a social pack, making friends and alliances with our neighbors? Were we going to change territory? What was going to be our combat strategy? What was going to be our source of income? What would be our immigration policy?

It seemed surreal sometimes that we were imposed to respond to those questions after everything we went through. We were just two teenagers who had lost everything. 

Thank god for our grandma that came immediately to our rescue and tried to calm things down until we were settled. But the questions were still unanswered, and that was one of the things our grandma couldn't help us with.

"Choosing what is good for the pack has to come with the new generation. You know what this pack needs, I no longer do. That is why you were chosen at this moment. That is why I have to resign now, it is because I no longer have what it takes to protect this pack. I am too old. You are the new leaders, you were born at different times than mine.

"You have fresh new ideas that I can't understand. That is why we change every time of leadership and hope that the younger generation has understood what mine never did."