16. Wise old Wolf

The words Dr. Hunt gave still resonated in my mind for the whole night. And for that, I was now breaking my record of miles running in my wolf form in the middle of the Rainforest.

I needed to run as fast as I could, I needed to destroy all my muscles. I needed to be exhausted or else I would fall into my old coping mechanism and I have sworn myself that I would never do that again.

Harmful substances are not fun. Even more when you have been addicted for almost all your teenagedom. Even more when your brain loved those substances way too much, not letting you think clearly and be in control.

Not when you have all these lives at stake. Not when I have a pack that I need to protect.

I have been running for almost 7 hours now and I could finally feel my body shut down, only wanting to rest. No longer thirsty for something else than water.

I smile internally when I recognize where I was, the tree-house. The tree-house was as old as my grandmother, passing all the generations of Crest children. 

All children in this pack have one, it is like a happy traditional 5th birthday present for us.

This three-house was made in the tallest tree my great-grandfather found at the time and build it with all a child could want. It looked like an adults' house in miniature. 

But it did have a telescope to see trespassers, an Ak-47 child size with sleeping darts in it. The whole general idea my great-grandpa had was even though this was a place for play for his precious daughter, he needed her to be safe if anything. Turned out very handy on multiple occasions in the future. 

Distasteful? Yes. Surprisingly practical? Yes.

Before I know it, I am fast asleep at the bottom of the tree, surrounded by the sounds of Papagayo and bugs.

Was sleeping a little less hectic than my reality? Hell no. I dreamed of almost everything in disorder. Everything in an old setting, a setting I couldn't remember. It was all fuzzy.

Where my grandma started talking about her long lost mate and Rosy screaming at the top of her lungs about how she never had a real chance with her mate and how she would hate me forever if I didn't accept Malcolm. 

Malcolm on the other side was having the time of his life, flirting with everybody that moved, the scent of that wolf still playing in my mind like a broken record. Then I saw my grandfather Louis, that I have never met, unless in pictures. He was chill, telling me that it would all work out.

Then I saw children, I couldn't recognize them. They looked a lot like someone but I couldn't pin-point it who. I did however recognize my nephews, James and Aliénor, playing with those unnamed children.

"Auntie! Viens! Viens!" I heard Aliénor scream at me, shaking her little hand, a little too vividly. "Auntie! Viens! Viens, auntie!" The screams shake me out of my daze between dream and reality, clearing the dark fuzz that my dream was projecting in my vision.

And, clearly, Aliénor was in front of me, slapping me in the cheek.

"Auntie! Wolf!" She giggles happily, petting my fur a little too harshly, not being able to control her strength. "Wolf! Woof! Woof!" She says again, while I started getting up and shaking my fur. She clapped happily when I did that.

I licked her cheek, making her giggle even more. Her hair was in cute pigtails, trying to tame her crazy dark curls. 

"Encore! Encore!" She says in her cute french accent, missing the r's. She was now jumping up and down, her big overalls she heard from James, looking comically big on her.