40. The Other Attack

"Hey! Are you okay? Why are the sirens on? What is going on?" I feel a sort of relief when I hear my mate's voice. I smile at him and hug him, my arms grabbing his neck as Aliénor did to me just now, surprising him by the sudden movement. 

The sirens were for preparation. They weren't like the last attack. Children and teenagers are not allowed to leave their houses or rooms -if they stay in the packhouse-. 

Soldiers are supposed to be in position and there are double troops out at the border. Adults are to be alert and stay home. Everybody is on lockdown.

We have multiple sirens all for different types of catastrophe.

One of the soldiers gave me camouflage pants and a green tank top when I entered the packhouse.

I immediately start crying. I haven't had a good night's sleep for almost a week. And I knew that part of me was crying because I missed Malcolm so much.  

"Angie, I'm here! What is it?" He hugged me back even harder, trying to calm down my tremors. We were in the middle of the corridor next to the commanding room, people were running in and out of it, each knowing what they had to do.

"They are back, Mal!" I whisper at him, while he just hugs me even more, his nose breathing on the mark of my neck. 

My fingers having a mind of their own, grabbed his curly hair, and pulled on it as if reminding me that he was real.

His wonderful smell making my head spin a little: pine-cones, mint, and anise. 

He pushes me a little for our eyes to lock, making me drown in the liquid silver of his.

"Hey, Angie, you are the Alpha. You did this multiple times. You'll do great, okay?" With my free hand, I was grabbing his neck for dear life. 

Why was I so scared?
Was it because I saw myself getting stabbed in the back? Is that it?

Or was it the vision of me being pregnant that shocked me the most? 

I nod again, taking him in, not wanting to let go. 

"What is going on? Why are you trembling?" He asks me, close to a murmur, for only me to hear. He looked concerned, making my heart swell. 

He is concerned for me.

"It was Aliénor that had the warning, not me. It was a baby that received the warning. She was so scared, Mal! Why in all that supernatural in this world would the Moon Goddess give a war sign in the dream of a 2-year-old?" I was venting. 

I needed to let it all out and Malcolm didn't seem to mind. He just continued holding me and playing with my hair.

"Alpha, we are ready," Zyla says from behind, waking me up from the short bliss of having my mate in my arms. 

I clean my tears and look back at an awkward-looking Zyla. She was trying to not look at us directly at us. The poor girl was blushing, just looking at the ceiling as if nothing was happening in front of her.

"Great, let's go," I say taking the hand of Malcolm, not thinking and walked into the commanding room. 

He stops me before I can put the code making me look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"I'll see you when this is all done, I am going to the hidden chambers," He says, giving me a small smile. I immediately frown.

"Why are you leaving? I want you with me! You are the Alpha of this pack as I am," I tell him, not giving him time to respond. 

I feel his mood in our link change from confused to proud to serve and very happy. Making me smile at the back of my mind, loving feeling him so happy.