Chpt. 24

|A L Y S S A|

The area he led me to was intimate and quiet, away from the blazing music and loud people

The area he led me to was intimate and quiet, away from the blazing music and loud people. It was still VIP but in a different room, with just me and him---us, alone. I took a deep breath, trying my best to calm my nerves as I watched him pour me a drink from the mini bar, which had everything from hardcore liquor to the softest champagne in bottles of all shapes, colors and sizes.

He handed me the glass of champagne and took a seat beside me on the sofa. I got goosebumps from him sitting so close to me, and the scent of his Versace cologne continued to drive me crazy. I felt his pair of blue eyes roaming my body checking out my figure, but I pretended not to notice. I took a few sips of the champagne, hoping it would calm my nerves and loosen me up a little. I'm usually not this nervous around a man, but this wasn't just any man, this was Zachary James Gilligher---he was my first everything, and out of everyone I came across in my 25 years of living he was the only man that ever had that type of effect over me.

There was a moment of awkward silence between us before he finally spoke.

"Damn Lyssa...I can't even front, a nigga happy to see you. It's been a long ass time."

I smiled. "I'm happy to see you too. Still can't believe you're in Atlanta. Like, how long have you been here Zach?" I asked, still a bit surprised.

"Like 3 months now. I'm working on opening a shop down here. I already paid the realtor for the building, I just need to set it all up and get it lookin like a tattoo shop before I could actually open it."

"Wow...a tattoo artist? I'm not surprised since I know how much you loved to draw...but whatever happen to your dream of becoming a cartoonist?"

"I still would like to make that happen one day", he smiled that handsome smile that I always loved, "But right now, I'm just focusing on my work as a tattoo artist."

"Sooo, what got you into doing tattoos? I'm just curious cause I've never heard you mention anything about being a tattoo artist...it was always about your dream of doing cartoons." I really wanted to know how he ended up in this career path.

He chuckled, then took a sip of his henny. "Well...when you left a nigga", he stared me square in the eyes sending chills through out my body, "let's just say I couldn't handle the effects and I got myself into a lot of shit and ended up doing some time up in prison. While I was there, motherfuckas knew how talented I was with drawing so they would basically beg me to tattoo them but I always turned them down cause I aint know nothing about that shit. When I seen how much them niggas was willing to pay me, I made up my mind to do it. It wasn't really that bad or as hard as I thought it'll be, you just gotta be real focused on it and not get too distracted, otherwise you could fuck someone up for good. But the more I did it, the more I loved it, and it's just been a passion of mines ever since...then after while, I got outta prison and worked at this tattoo shop, the biggest one in Miami, you may have heard of it, it's Miami Ink. I was the only Black one there but I was the best. I ended up getting my name out there and well, the rest was history", he shrugged.