Chpt. 28

|A L Y S S A|

Dom walked out of the bathroom with a white towel around his waist. "Babe, what time does the barbecue start again?"

"5:30", I said, applying some Fenti lip gloss on my lips. "Which means we have to be out of here in 30 minutes." I screwed the top back on to my lip gloss tube and sat it on my vanity.

I picked up my phone and seen that I had several missed messages from Zach, all about wanting to talk about lastnight.

I was contemplating on texting him back when I felt Dom hug my waist from behind. I quickly put my phone face down on my vanity, not wanting him to see an unfamiliar male name across my phone screen.

He began sucking on my neck. "Come on Dom. If you keep that up we're gonna be late", I warned.

He chuckled, releasing me. "You're right." He went over to his personal drawer---the one he used to store his clothes whenever he spent the night--- and took out a white v-neck T-shirt and cargo shorts. He removed the white towel from his waist and began changing.

A wave of sadness came over me as I thought about my mother's change of plans. I sat on the bed. "I can't believe mom said she's not going to be able to make it. I was really looking forward to her visit. I hadn't seen her in over 6 months." I sighed. "She's never gone that long withour visiting me."

Dom looked down at me, adjusting his cartier watch on his wrist. "I know you're upset babe, but I'm sure your mother has a good reason."

"What reason could it possibly be Dom?" I folded my arms across my chest. "She's never backed out from visiting me. Maybe she's upset with me about something."

He sat beside me and rubbed my thigh. "Come on beautiful. You're just overthinking the entire thing. Like I said, I'm sure you're mother has a good reason. Besides, you've done nothing but make your mother proud, so why would she be upset with you about anything?" He kissed my forehead, then stood up from the bed. "Stop beating yourself up Alyssa. You have to learn to stop doing that baby."

"You're right. I'm just overreacting. I just---I miss her so much." I felt my eyes welling up. "That's my mom."

Dom bent down and kissed my lips. "Don't cry babe."

I wiped the tears from eyes and took a deep breath, trying to hold myself together and get back in a better mood.

"Listen, as soon as we come back from the barbecue, we could call your mother and I could give you a nice hot oil massage...How's that sound?"

I looked in his soft almond shaped eyes and gave him a dull smile. He always tried to please me, which was one of the reasons why I was grateful to have him in my life. "That sounds nice Dom, Thank you."

"Never thank me for something I'm suppose to do as your man. It's my job to put a smile on that face and make you happy...Now come on." He took my hand and led me up from the bed. "It's time to go dig into some barbecue. Can't wait till your folks taste our special desert", he said excitingly, taking pride in our sad attempt at cooking.

I laughed. "Oh my God babe, do we have to? That cake is all burnt up and we forgot to add eggs. All we gonna do is embarrass ourselves."

He laughed. "What you talking about? Whatever me and my baby touch is magic."

Hand in hand, we walked out of the door and headed to the car, preparing to head to my uncle's barbecue cookout. Dom tried to make conversation the entire ride, but my mind was too preoccupied with Zach to even hear what he was saying.

*****
Dom pulled up in front of my uncle's house and parked. "You've been quiet the entire ride Lovely." He looked over at me. "Something's on your mind?"