Chpt. 95

|A L Y S S A|

I walked into my kitchen to see Dominic standing by the toaster waiting for his pop tart finish cooking. His white doctor's coat complimented his dark chocolate skin, bringing out the radiance of it. He always looked so handsome and professional in his scrubs—like he stepped out of one of those calendar's that showed off sexy men.

I pulled the belt around my waist to tighten my robe a little as I walked pass him to get coffee cream out of the refrigerator.

"Nice robe", he nodded his head in approval as his lustful eyes admired my curves. Last night, I finally let him inside of me after denying him entrance for months. I thought it would close the awkwardness that's been existing between us for awhile but it was still there and I wasn't sure if it was going to go anywhere. It's like whatever we had in the beginning of our relationship was slowly disappearing. Apart of me hated that because I hadn't always been disgusted by Dom, there was a time that I enjoyed him—his company, his love, his everything—but now the sight of him kind of annoyed me.

"I don't think I've ever seen you in that one before", he continued, "Is it new?"

I looked down at my costly silky pink floral robe. It was one of the many gifts Zachary had bought me for our vacation to Greece. He use to love how I looked in it and we'd always end up having sex whenever I wore it. I shook the thoughts of him away as I went over to the cabinet and retrieved one of coffee mugs.

"Yes, it's new", I replied, "It's an early wedding gift from mom."

"Ohh", he snapped his fingers as if he was forgetting something, "How was the talk with your mother? You know—about your dissatisfaction with law school."

"It didn't go so well", I replied, pouring myself some coffee that he brewed, "she's really upset that I dropped out."

He looked at me flabbergasted, "You dropped out?"

I walked over to the kitchen table with my mug of coffee and sat down. "Dom where have you been? I've been telling you how unhappy I was with law school for the longest of time. I also confide in you that I dropped out like 2 or 3 nights ago. I mean, were you listening at all?"

He stood there, leaning against the refrigerator with his mug of coffee in hand. "It depends. Were you speaking during the play offs?" He joked, but I didn't find a damn thing funny at all.

I rolled my eyes, "Your pop tart is burning."

"Shit", he murmured, quickly taking his pop tart out of the toaster and fanning it off. "Well, atlease it's not too burnt", he said, relieved.

"She's been sick Dominic and even though she was trying to assure me that she's okay. I don't know if I believe her."

He walked over to me and gently grabbed both of my shoulders. "Your mother is gonna be fine Alyssa. She's seeing the best doctor in all of Atlanta, and on top of that her cancer has been removed. There's a chance it may grow back again which is why she's still getting treatment."

I looked over my shoulder at him, confused. "How did you know all of this? Did she tell you?"

"Yes. She told me she was ill with inflammatory breasts cancer. She spoke with my father and he recommended her to good oncologist. The great thing about it is that she noticed the cancer early on and received treatment immediately. She's cancer free now but she still has to take medications and continue to see a doctor because there's a likely chance that it could grow back."

I pulled his hands away from my shoulder—I didn't want him comforting me. "So you mean to tell you that my mother told YOU that she was sick and not me?" I rubbed my temples, "was she ever even gonna tell me? Had I not heard uncle Jo speaking about it with aunt Pam I probably would have ever known."