Chpt. 10

|A L Y S S A|

I was in awe when the driver pulled up infront of this beautiful mansion that had to be atlease 15,000 square feet. I felt starstrucked as I stared at this massive house because I only seen homes like this on TV.

I looked around the beautiful neighborhood

I looked around the beautiful neighborhood. Yea, I definitely wasn't in the projects anymore. I was in brand new territory, one surrounded by expensive homes and wealthy families. I started to worry about whether I would fit in with this new population.

"Baby girl, why don't you go on inside while I get the rest of your luggage. Your aunt Pam will show you around", uncle Joseph said.

Aunt Pam smiled at me, took my hand and led me inside of their home.

I followed her as she gave me an hour long tour around the house and I was even more in awe. The house was beautifully decorated and looked a thousand times bigger inside than it did outside. They had tons of rooms, bathrooms, elevators, maids, 3 pools, a sauna, a gym and even a theatre.
Uncle Joseph and aunt Pam were living large like Will and Jada. I always knew they had money but this far exceeded my expectations.

"This will be your room, it was once the guest room. It's already decorated but you're free to do whatever you want to it. Perhaps you and Vickoya could decorate it together?" She said, referring to my cousin.

 Perhaps you and Vickoya could decorate it together?" She said, referring to my cousin

The room was breathtakingly beautiful and full of space. My mother's entire apartment could fit in the walk in closet alone. I looked around the room and just couldn't believe how perfect it was, it was as if it was right out of a magazine. Al though I loved the room as is, my mind was going crazy with all the different ideas to redecorate it. I became super excited as I thought about the creative ways I could fix it up every month.

 I became super excited as I thought about the creative ways I could fix it up every month

Aunt Pam smiled at me as we sat at the kitchen island eating from a fruit bowl. "So how do you like it so far? You think you'll feel at home?"

"I love it. This entire house is gorgeous. I already feel at home", I said in excitement.

Then, a wave of sadness hit me as I thought about Zach, the love of my life -my first love. I still couldn't believe what transpire hours ago. Still couldn't believe he broke up with me. Breaking up never crossed my mind before and I was just expecting us to ride out a long distance relationship. It pained me that I couldn't pick up the phone and dial his number like I planned to once I came here.

Aunt Pam must have sensed my sadness because she reached over and took my hand in hers. "Your mama told me about Zach. It's okay baby, I know this isn't easy for you."

I stared down at the table. "I really don't want to talk about it."

"And that's okay. Whenever you're in the mood to talk I'm here".

She grabbed the now empty fruit bowl and walked over to the sink to wash it.

"So where's Vickoya and Junior?" I asked in curiosity.

Vickoya and Junior were children that uncle Joseph and aunt Pam adopted several years after they tied the knot. They adopted them when they were only a few months old. The adoption agency informed them that Vickoya's biological parents were Sudan while Junior's were Afro-Puerto Rican. Uncle Joseph and aunt Pam loved both of their children and raised them as if they were biologically their own. I didn't even know they were adopted until I heard the adults speaking about it when I was at uncle Joseph's wedding anniversary party 6 years ago, which was the last time I saw them.

"Ohh they're out doing what they do best chile, shopping at somebody's mall", she said as she poured herself a glass of champagne. "They should be here any minute"

Uncle Joseph tried to sneak up behind aunt Pam but she turned around just in time.

"You always turn around at the right time woman!"

"Because I know when you trying to sneak up on me!" She playfully mushed his head, and he kissed her cheek.

She put her arms around his neck. "Why you want to scare me? Huh?" She pecked his lips a few times, then it turned into hardcore kissing. They started feeling all on eachother and getting carrried away, damn near forgetting I was in the room.

I cleared my throat.

Uncle Joseph laughed. "Oh baby girl, I got all of your things to your room. You can head on up there and unpack now", he said, obviously trying to get rid of me.

"Okay. Thanks uncle Joseph"

"No problem pumpkin". He winked at me and got back to slobbing down aunt Pam. The love they had for eachother reminded me of the love me and Zach once shared. The way uncle Joseph looked at aunt Pam was the same way Zach would stare at me. I miss him so much.

I went upstairs to my brandnew room and began my journey of unpacking and settling in.

My phone rang.

What if it's Zach?

I hurried up and reached in my pocket to answer it.

It was my mom.

"Hey sunshine? How's everything going up there and why hadn't you called me as soon as yall landed like you promised?"

"Ma, I don't know. I was going to call you eventually"

"What you doing? You like the place?"

"Yes, it's awesome. Ma their house is so big. I'm surprised I remembered where my room was"

"I told you'll like it up there"

"I don't know. I just got here. I don't know anything about Georgia or the culture." I wanted to tell her that I missed Zach and wanted to come back home, but I knew it would be a smart idea to not bring him up.

"Well, I'm sure Vickoya and Junior wouldn't mind showing you around", she said.

"Well ma, I'm going to finish unpacking"

"Oh I guess thats my cue to get off the phone huh? Well baby I love you. Call me if you need me."

I said I loved her too and hung up.