Chpt. 48

|A L Y S S A|

|A L Y S S A|

"This place is so peaceful", I said to Zachary.

We were at his second house---a 4-bedroom, luxury log cabin that sat in the middle of the woods---having dinner outside on his cozy patio near the beautiful lake. The atmosphere was so calm and serene, the only thing heard was nature's music---crickets chirping, wind whistling through the trees and the sounds of the water.

Zach took a sip of his beer. "Yea, it is", he agreed. "I like to come here whenever I need to be by myself and clear my head. Nobody knows about this house, not even my little bro."

I raised my brow. "Nobody?"

"Nah." He shook his head. "Nobody... I mean, except for you."

"So..not even Taz?" I asked, purposely mispronouncing her name.

He chuckled. "Nah shawty...not even her", he replied, and I was surprised when he didn't bother to correct me.

I looked down at my plate, nervously twirling my fork in my lasagna. "Ohh...well, that's interesting."

"Why you say that?"

I shrugged. "I just thought she would know since she's special to you."

He leaned forward---his versace cologne smelling good as always---and reached across the table for my hand. He raised it up to his sexy lips and kissed it---sending chills down my spine and sparkles in my panties. "I'm sitting right now with the woman that's special to me."

I bit my lip, looking into his soul-snatching blue orbs---making my heart melt, shrinking me back to that shy, clumsy 16 year old girl...it's like whenever I was near him, I was a teenager again. I cleared my throat---a failed attempt to calm my nerves. "How many girls do you say stuff like this to?" I asked, remembering all the grimy things I've heard about him.

He looked at me, shocked by my words. "What you mean?"

I avoided his eyes, feeling stupid and regretting what I said. "It's nothing...I shouldn't have said that."

"Alyssa, look at me."

I lift my head up, looking into his handsome face---he was sooo good looking.

"I know you probably heard shit bout me, but just know that them mothafuckas that was in ya ear don't know me nor do them niggas in the blogs...but you do though."

"Do I?" I asked, looking him square in the eyes. "It's been so many years. Not 1, not 2, not even 3 but 9. We're completely different people now from when we were kids. We both moved on and have our own lives now. We barely know eachother anymore. You probably don't even remember anything about me."

He looked at me as if I just said the most ridiculous thing ever. "Alyssa, I remember everything about you...my memory may be fucked up on alotta shit but I remember everything when it comes to you."