Chapter 7.2 - Trouble in the Forest

We are almost staying at the village for a week now. And during that time I was just resting from my injuries and I vastly improved our arsenal. Now leveling up by 5 levels when I killed the bear, I was able to do more complex weapon creation.

Jumping from a lever action to a bolt action one is great leap for a civilian like me who is just a gun geek. And leaping from a Winchester 94 to a British SMLE is big jump. The complexity of the SMLE makes me regret that I should have first made a Mauser before this.

But the characteristics of the SMLE makes me choose it over other rifle designs. It can load 10 rounds, using 2, 5-clip .303 round. And smooth bolt action means with proper training I can shoot it like a Semi-Automatic one. A very great advantage considering in this world of swords and magic, people attack in a very large group or in a swarm.

I upgraded one Winchester 94 to accomodate a .45 caliber round. The other one was used as the based for the second SMLE. I also upgraded the two Colt Revolvers to a M1917 Revolver able to fire a bigger .45 caliber round. My sack of .357 rounds was upgraded to .45 caliber. I was also able to produce around 60, 5-clip .303 round.

I was not able to upgrade our shotgun because of lack of materials. I also drew a steel 12 inch ruler to complement the ruler at the back of my non functioning smartphone.

Liana surprisingly was able to cope with the changes of bullets. And it seems the .303 round was able to take down large prey when she was on the hunt. We are low on critical supplies afterall.

Serefina and other elves however are still surprised with our "magical tools" as they are very effective and they haven't seen a weapon of this kind in their very long life. They insist that I should make them such tools but I humbly refused blaming that in my country's tradition only a select few can weild such great weapon and such. And not to mention that from time to time I have to recreate the weapon as its form deteriorates as time passes by, it requires a somewhat continuous maintenance by the creator.

And with the joyful village life I dreamed of will suddenly comes to a halt. When an elf scout reported the sight of slave traders approaching from the West from the Kingdom.

The reason why the Elven Kingdom shrunk in size in the last 100 years are because of human activities. Elves are also considered as prime goods for merchantmen to be used as slaves because of their lifespan. And with Elven women exquisite beauty they are subject to be captured and sold as a pleasure slave for the rich. And even though Elves excel in the use of bow and arrows, new human techniques in capturing and pillaging villages have cope with their advantages. And the slave trades are heading straight to this town.

Thus Liana and I formed a plan on how to help defend the village. Using our ranged weapons we can deal much more damage at great distances compared to the Elven bows. I also bought some steel rods and transformed it to a bayonets for our two rifles.

Meanwhile, the elves also formed tactics and called in their ranks. And prepared for the worst to come.

And all that happening around me. I tried to find on my own some very good shooting positions from the trees.

But then I stumbled upon Serefina. To my surprise the very elegant Serefina is down on her knees, crying and shaking from fear. A very pitiful sight seeing a lady cry like a girl. Thus I approached her, to try to comfort her.

"Hey Serefina, what's wrong?", I gently ask her.

She then replied in a wobbly voice, "Oh, Mr Karl, it's very shameful to see me like this" as she wipes her tears and tried to answer normally.

I replied calmly, "It's not shameful, all of us have weaknesses, what shameful is those who tries hard to hide such weaknesses."