Chapter 17.1 - Village Exodus Part 1

We reached the end of the mine shaft after an almost two hours walking in the narrow dark shaft, the end will let you at the back of the mountain where the village is located, we then have to hike the mountainous regions for three days to arrive at the nearest village and another three to reach the largest town. Some parts are even narrower so some villagers with the horses have trouble squeezing through. I was told that this pathbwas accidentally discovered by the old villagers in search of gold. Ever since the path was kept secret to some as it was used to be an escape path for troublemakers especially looters. And for this occasion we were saved by this accidental path.

I quickly searched for Liana and Serefina to check how are they. When I stumbled upom them, Liana is guiding the horse with our stuff strapped on it while Serefina is carrying some of our stuff while chatting with Nataly.

I then decided to go back at the rear where the remaining 6, including me, that remained last slowly marches on. We then gathered our courage to let Nataly that her father will not be able to rejoin us.

"Your father was a good man till the end", an ex-adventurer exclaimed.

"He desperately tried to rescue one of us but he failed, he then faced the enemies head on for is then to successfully escape, we owe your father and you Nataly", exclaimed by the oldest ex-adventurer.

Of course she burst into tears upon hearing the news. The whole village began also to sympathize with her. Meanwhile the guilt inside me is now almost overflowing.

I could have save Kyle.

I should have been able to save Kyle.

Why did I let go?

I asked myself the whole afternoon.

And as soon as the sunsets, we then decided to call it a day. The women then prepared the hot meal for tonight. A hout soup is definitely a welcome dish for exhausted travellers, combined with cold weather a bowl of hot soup is heaven. 

And as we camp for the night, the limited supplies of sleeping gear and cold dress is apparent. The temperature began to drastically decrease come nightfall. We are really freezing. It is very difficult to rest, as you need to get close to the bonfire. I then let Liana and Serefina to rest first, although I was able to catch some sleep, I really can't sleep with how cold the temperature is. Every air I exhale now turn to gas, I then began to stroll for the night.

I began to stare at the starry night sky. The big blue moon once again illuminates the whole surroundings. Making a breathtaking view of the mountainous regions.

The rays of blue moon touches the mountains ridges with snow and make it like it is glowing. It is a view I will definitely will not forget. The starry skies is familiar yet so different. The constellations I once look up to with my mom back at Earth isn't simply there. It reminds me oncs again that I am far away at home.

I reached a ridge which is comparably a distance away for the camp. The view here is much more breathtaking. I could stare at this for days or even years and I would not get bored. I have the urge to wake up Liana and Serefina.

"Beautiful isn't it?" Someone asked me from behind.

"Oh, ha!? Nataly! Jeez you surprised me!" I then replied.

Nataly replied, "Me and my father and mother regularly camps in this mountains at night when I was a child."

"Wow, that is interesting to hear can you tell me more? if you don't mind that is." I replied.

Nataly replied, "It is both a scene of happiness and sadness, I lost my mom when a giant wolf attacked us at the same nihht such as these, my father was able to kill it, but it was able to injure my mom pretty badly, my healing spells that time of course were weaker than it is now. And now the same skies reminds me that I have no longer a father to rely on".

My guilt is is now overflowing. I can't really hide the truth from this girl.

She stands besides me, with slight tear in eyes, overlooking the godly sight.

I then faced her, grabbed my handkerchief, removed her glasses and wipe her tears off before I put it back again.

"I have something to tell you, Nataly!". I told her with a calm voice, as my guilt overflows.