Chapter 22.2 - Cavalry is Here! Part 2

We followed the blood trail further down the road. We stumbled upon the dead bodies of the guards that escorted that High Priest and his disciples.

We then disembark on our horses and cock our rifles. This could be a trapped. Ilina and Isabel are near my back but the other two stayed further back.

Among the carcasses, a half dead soldier in his own pool of blood is still fighting for his life. As soon as I spotted him I quickly called Serefina and Liana to help the man. Both of the ladies stay a further back as they couldn't stand the massacre that lays in front of their eyes.

But their low level healing spells is not enough to heal the very fatal injuries the man have. If obly we have Nataly, she might be able to save his life. The slaves couldn't also help.

I then reached out to man and tried to comfort him in his last breath. But in his dying minutes he gave us a valuable information.

"Priest... Traitor... Camp at Valley.... Life"

His last words was full of anger, he wish for revenge. And vengeance would be righfully served I think to myself.

If I interpreted his word right, it would seem the Priest himself, was the one behind the kidnapping. It would not really make sense but as I've heard with the smugglers. Having very capable healers as slaves would really fetch a high price.

I would not really risk myself and my party in this dangerous undertaking. But I have a promise to keep. In his last moments I did promise Nataly's dad that I will protect his daughter and guide her to have a normal life. I did help her to have a life inside the church, but it went downhill, and fast.

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fists as rise up and fixed my things.

"We are still on the right path, we need to get at the Valley of Life fast. I'll discuss the details later." I directed the party as we get up on our horses.

If I am once again right. We might catch the Priest in time as they cross the valley. They would not really have gotten far enough with their size, and their speed might be the same speed as of that of a marching army.

And a small party on horses could quickly close the gap. We are like a cavalry galloping in the mountains. Within a couple of hours we might reached them.

***
"Hey, quiet down you sissies", a guard smashes the iron bars of the creaking carriage.

"It's alright kids, calm down, they would not hurts us okay?. I'll protect you.", Nataly tries to calm down the kids with her.

They are imprisoned on the many carriage the whole party is hauling. She was lucky that her captors allowed her to accompany the kids. They are obviously scared on what is happening. And with the memory of dozens of men around them being slaughtered by people guarding them now isn't really helping.

They are mentally scarred.

"High Priest, we would really rake in a lot of gold if the transactions would push through."

"Ah yes, yes. I know this is ironic as I have been preaching not to fall in to the greed, but look at me now."

"What could have change a person like you, High Priest?"

"I realized everything was for a naught. The Churh is "dying" in the Confederacy. The people only follows us because we can heal them for free and of course traditions. But nothing else"

"I see, I see. Instead of dying as a holy person you would prefer dying as rich guy I presume?"

"Very accurate Captain, a blissful life in the Kingdom is not bad"

The conversation between the high priest and the captors Captain went on. But as soon as they reached the Valley of Life. A few hours away from the Kingdom. They've decided to set up a camp first for a few hours. Everyone is tired afterall.

***

But this little stopover of them would be very fatal.

The moonlight illuminated the clear valley. Vegetations around the road would provide any riflemen as very good vantage point for anyone sitting in the open, just like a main road.

A one sided massacre was about to come down upon them.