Chapter 25.1 - Brief Respite Part 1

A few days had passed since the kidnapping event, the town held a small party, me and my party was then awarded plentiful for our efforts.

Enough awards that I can buy a new horses and carriage. I was also able to buy other equipments and provisions for our adventure. But most importantly I've contracted a friendly tailor for our battle dress. A green fatigues or more like an olive drab resembling American soldiers in Vietnam, couple with black short skirt and leggings, a first probably in this world, these are all my designs. The tailor also made us each a bandolier and vest I've also designed. The vest can be inserted with a thin steel plate that I crafted, enough to stop a heavy sword and even a .45 cal round.

During the past days, I've corrected the flaws of our M-14s, created another shotgun and a couple of pistols. And a work in progress machine gun, an M-60 and M-16. But with the lack of plastic and aluminum alloys and forgetting their original designs my project was halted for now.

With our new uniforms, new equipment and upgraded M-14s, we are more than ready to head towards another adventure.

Then as I work on the stables on my new weapons, a man then approached me and said.

"Working this early, 'hero', you're name really precedes you".

"Oh Mr. Clementine, sorry I didn't notice you earlier."

"It's fine, I see you are busy with your magic weapons".

"Uhm, yeah, but I still got a long way to go."

He then reached for my M-14 and slowly caress its metal and wooded body.

"I can't believe this weapon of yours could kill dozens of men, this beyond unthinkable a few weeks ago."

"This was the result of my father and grandfather's years of research."

"If you're going to sell these to the people or even the Confederacy. You could probably earn a lot, enough to buy this whole town.", he said smirking as he marvels my M-14 copy.

"Mr. Karl, I've come here to let you know that a caravan will be passing through this town and will head towards the Capital. I've heard they are in need of a few bodyguards for their goods and I've recommended you and your party."

"Oh wow, thank you.", I replied in joy.

"Urgh don't thank me, being the head of the commerce is really a headache. I should be the one thanking you as you guys fit the bill of the guys at the caravan. A small elite force that can protect them, you guys are a rarity these days."

Mr. Clementine, the Head of Commerce and Trading of this town and is responsible in managing not only the local trade but also the protection of the traders themselves. They sometimes team up with the Adventurer's Guild on giving tasks or jobs to he adventurers to provide escort for them, this happens when the mercenaries dedicated in protecting caravans are nowhere to be found.

With a new job already at hand. I've begun the preparations for us to depart as soon as possible, although the Caravan is expected to only arrived within a couple of days.

Our new wagon is now more bigger than before. And is now being pulled by four horses. On the outside it is just your regular heavy cargo wagon. It now features a steel armored plate surrounding the whole wagon and is being hid by the dirty white cloth, regular wagons used as a roof.

I've heavily modified the original wagon. It now sports a handmade suspension, accomodation for four persons, storage area and to top it all off. The roof has a circle wooden plate that can be removed if necessary. It is a gun mount, a perfect position for a machine gun.

The work in progress M-60 can fire a couple dozen rounds before it jams. There's still a lot of issues that needs to be rectified, that I do not allow the ladies to touch my new beast.

Hopefully it is more than enough to safely escort the Caravan towards the Capital.

And from there we can finally set sail towards the Library the note spoke of in the wooden hut I've found.