Chapter 21.2 - Surprise Part 2

As we enjoy our delicious dinner. A commotion erupts from the outside. The commotion grew louder and louder. Then the owner approached the door and opened it to know whats happening.

And he asked a man running towards the plaza. "What's going on?".

"The High Priest and his subordinates have been kidnapped. They are now assembling a rescue group now. Majority of the Town Guards have been sent to the countryside, they will never catch them in time." The man explained and ran off.

"For god's sake, they have gone nuts!", the owner exclaimed as he closes the door.

Then Serefina said. "We have to go!"

"Why", Liana asked.

"Remember what Nataly told us three days ago?"

"Yes, they said they are going to the mountains for a ritual with the High Priest."

"Oh right I remember"

"That means, Nataly might also have been kidnapped."

I then intervened, "We're going, we are going now!".

As we finished dinner I quickly head over at the town square to gather much needed information.

All the while the ladies prepared their equipment.

We are going to put our new battle rifles to the test.

As I head on the town square. Volunteers signing up for the rescue party are coming in dozens. Soon the square is almost filled up by mercenaries, adventurers and even civilians. The High Priest held a very important role in this towns religion. Having him in captivity is directly insulting their faith. Thus they are commited to rescue him at all costs.

We were briefed that his group was ambushed on their way back to town. And he last known reported location of them was at the far west, heading to the border.

The High Priest and his subordinates including Nataly have powerful healing spell. Having them would mean anyone who controls them have the capacity to simultaneously heal hundreds of men. And the town council concludes that mercenaries might sell them off at the Kingdom to serve their army.

Their skirmishes with the Confederate is not going well. And having a few dozen capable healers is not really going to affect the tide of the war. But having the High Priest who could heal hundreds of men in an instant is another.

So that is why the town is putting a lof of effort and resources to rescue them.

But they would take long. To my calculations with the rate they are going they could only leave town by tomorrow morning or worse, by afternoon.

The whole square is filled with capable warriors but mobilizing them would take hours. They are already grabbing all the available horses and carriage they could find.

And with the knowledge that the Church's warrior guards was easily defeated, a mostly civilian rescue party would mean an instant doom. Thus the leaders then decided to use overwhelming numbers to even  their odds. A very good idea if I may say.

Thus I quickly gathered my own rescue party. I have borrowed a map from one of the smugglers I knew who have a shorter route that would probably take us almost behind the kidnappers or even behind us.

We got on our own horses. Equipped with all the firearms available and hastily make our way on the jagged smugglers road.

The ride will be bumpy. And what's going to happen next is much more trouble. This is the first time that we are all going to work together.

We gallop our way on the dark forest with only our own torches and the shining moon above giving much needed illumination on the dangerous smugglers road.

The road was hidden and finding the path is a little tricky. The route from the main road would diverge right after we will reach the base of the mountain. The main road uses the long mountain pass. The smugglers would cut right into the mountains into the dense forest filled with dangerous monsters.

"You guys, try to aim your rifle while riding. And fire at the monsters you could find.", I shouted as I lead the group forward.

"Why?" asked Liana.

"We're going to practice our shooting while moving. If we wish we could chase those kidnappers, we need to shoot them while we ride!", I replied.

"Follow my lead!" I shouted as aim my M14 on a decently sized mob on my front.

BANG!