Chapter 16.2 - Tragedy Strucks Part 4

The ex-adventurers are having a hard time in fighting the goblins. Not only because of their age but of course the fatigue resulting from the week seige of the goblins are taking much toll on the old veterans. But we three from the rear can see the experience they got under their belt in every swing and hack of their swords. It is a rhythmic pattern they have developed through their experience. From a guy like me, I can see their movement as elegant and powerful and at the same time not wasting energy at blank hits. Every swing and hack they made are surely gonna hit something.

Thus we in the rear have to make sure that our support will surely help them. The mage undone another spell towards the increasing horde of goblins. Followed by a shot of multiple arrows and then a finishing blow by my rifle. A .303 round can surely penetrate the thick skin of the ogres where the veterans are having a hard time fighting it. I spent all 10 rounds to down two ogres, including the one responsible in blasting the wooden gate by a tree, and a couple of goblins. Frequently I will jump a little closer to the front and unleashed .45ACP rounds to the hordes with my Tommy gun.

And at last of the village warrior was able to enter the mine shaft, we then began to retreat in a tactical fashion, the first to enter but the goblins are only hording more as the time went on, lesser defenders and much larger attackers would be trouble. We are being pushed back and fast, an ex-adventurer were knock out by another blunt weapon sent out flying by an ogre. Kyle quickly rushed in to help the fallen comrade. And as most of them already entered the mine shaft or runnohng towards it, I quickly backtracks to help out Kyle. I load another stick magazine on my Thompson and cleared a line of goblins.

Kyle is having a hard time to rescue the other guy and was blown away with another swing by a large club towards me, I quickly grabbed him and heads towards the shaft. As I watch the downed adventurer that Kyle is trying to help being mercilessly killed in a brutal way by the goblins. 

Kyle's weight is dragging us both down. Everyone is shouting at both of us to hasten our pace. The goblins are catching up fast.

Then suddenly Kyle regain consciousness and began to analyze the surroundings and what is happening.

"Boy, leave me behind, we will not make it." Kyle calmy said as blood began to pour out of his mouth.

"I'm not leaving you behind mister!", I shouted at him as pulled out my pistol an unleashed a full magazine at the pursuing goblins.

"You have much to do, your far younger than me, you can't die here", he then once again told me.

"I can't let you die here son, you have more years to fulfill, and do me a favor of letting an old dog to his final battle." He replied and then pull his little strenght left to escape from my arms.

"I'm letting you the honor to taje care of Nataly, now go!, JUST GO!!!" He then shouted at me as he pick up the nearest sword, he is not in a physical condition to fight but he stands there ready to facw the onslaught. 

I then ran for my life to the mine shaft, with tears flowing my eyes, the thought of I could have done much more overwhelms my emotions.

I ran faster than I thought I could and leap in to the shaft, as the village mage chant another incantation to blast away the entrance to seal it off.

We watched from the distance as Kyle desperately fought. And as the village mage cast the spell the last I saw of Kyle is he stabded a goblin and while his sword is stuck another one slashed him.

BOOM!

The large magic explosion blew off the whole entrance of the mine shaft as we near to it experince the blast at a very close range. With ears ringing and the whole place is dusty and only lit by a single torch. We rest for a good minute or two before we join the other villagers at the other side.

We are now going to hike for a good four days, with limited supplies.

My laid back lifestyle here and back at Earth is once again shattered.