2.

I knew when I'd arrived in Leeds what I had to do. I'd travelled from London the night before, following the familiar route from the train station to my girlfriends home, where we'd once lived together when we'd been students here. But things had changed so much since I'd moved away and now with a heavy heart I had to break it to Laura that I was no longer in love with her.

Of course, she hadn't taken it well, but she seemed far from surprised. It had been difficult over the last six months and as much as she'd tried to support me in my new job in the capital, it just wasn't working. I wasn't shocked when she didn't cry when I told her I couldn't see a future for us. Maybe she'd felt the same for a long time? We'd said our goodbyes late that night, leaving me to wander the streets of Leeds during an exceptionally hot July night, awaiting the first train back home. I could've got a hotel room, but I was enjoying my night time stroll.

I'd done the right thing. It had seemed almost cruel to let the relationship drag on any further when we'd grown apart probably long before my move away. I just hoped that Laura wasn't too upset. I felt somewhat lost. I'd always had someone there to ring up when I was bored or to share my excitement at being signed to a record label. And now, though I had plenty of friends, it was odd that I didn't have that one person anymore. But I'd decided I wouldn't be throwing myself into love any time soon.