8.

We'd sat together for over an hour as she'd cried and told me that she'd left her boyfriend that morning and had no where to go. I had told her I'd also done exactly the same thing that night. So at least we had one thing in common. But I still didn't know her name.

'I'm Dan, by the way.' I offered her my hand to shake. Her upset face broke into a smile and I couldn't believe how different she looked with a smile.

'Lillian.' She laughed and wiped the wetness from her cheek with the back of her coat sleeve.

'We're getting off in about ten minutes, at Kings Cross. We'll go get something to eat and I'm gonna make some phone calls, if that's ok?' I had to keep checking if she was alright with the plans. I'd never dealt with anything like this. She nodded unsurely. 'What would you like to eat? There's a MacDonalds or a KFC, or do you fancy something healthy?'

'I, erm...I don't know.' She shrugged. She sure looked like she could eat a big meal. Now I had noticed how her cheek bones jolted out through her pale skin, and her thin wrists.

'Do you like burritos?'

'I don't know. What's in it?'

'Rice, beans, meat, onions, peppers, cheese, sauce, all wrapped in a tortilla.'

'That sounds amazing.'

'Come on then, let's go get a burrito.' I led the way from the train once we'd stopped, picking up my bag of possessions that Laura had packed before I'd left. I kept turning around to check she was still there. She walked slowly, but I could tell see was trying her best to keep up. I hung back at the ticket barrier. I saw her eyes widening at the size of the station and the bustling people all around.

'I've never been to London.' She answered my curious smile. It seemed so odd to me, having grown up in this part of the world. I wondered where she'd come from, why exactly she was running away from her boyfriend. But I didn't want to ask. It was her business and I was sure she'd tell me if she wanted me to know. I think I already had a rough idea what was going on, but I didn't want to admit it to myself.