7.

I had no idea how long we were on that train for. I had no idea who this amazing stranger was. I had managed to tell him, between sobs, that I'd left my partner of four years and I had no idea what I was going to do. But not once did he push me into explain why, which spoke more than words.

'You're safe now.' The way he said it, like all he had to do was look at my face and know what I'd been through. And there was something in his smile that told me, actually, I was safe. In the face of this unknown man I found something I hadn't seen for years; compassion. 'Where are you going to stay?'

'I don't know.' I shrugged. I hadn't got as far as thinking about that part yet. My head was in such a mess. And the more I thought about it, the more panicked I became. What was I going to do when this train stopped? What then?

'Do you have any money?'

'A little.' I lied. I had nothing. Nothing but the clothes on my back and a few pairs of underwear in my bag.

'Would you mind if I offered to help you?' At first I thought I'd heard wrong.

'Help me? But why would you help me?'

'Because I can't let you get off this train without knowing you're going to be ok. Let me find you somewhere to stay and make sure you can get some help with food and things.' But that didn't answer my question. Why would a total stranger go out of his way to help someone he didn't even know?

'Oh gosh, no, don't do that.' I shook my head vigoursly.

'I need to.'

'You don't need to do anything, you've done enough by letting me cry all over you.' I pointed to the wet stain on his checkered shirt.

'Ok, then I want to.' He said. I got the impression that no matter how much I refused his help, I was going to get it. And at that point in my life I was in no position to turn him down.