54.

It had just come out. Once again I'd managed to say something stupid and create a bad experience. And now she was sort of just looking at me. She didn't seem mad. So that was good. But she didn't exactly look happy. So that wasn't good.

'Oh god, I'm so sorry. I'm such a twat. I don't know why-' I backtracked. But the damage was done.

'Lets do it.'

'Just forget I said anything and...' It took my brain a moment to click. 'What?'

'Lets do it.' She shrugged and this beautiful smile filled her whole face. Ear to ear. Had I just accidentally proposed to this girl I'd known just over two months in some crappy cafe while eating a greasy breakfast?

'Lily if you're serious, then I am too. Are we actually gonna do this?'

'All I know is that when I'm with you I feel happy and safe, and I know that's probably not what marriage is about, but if we love each other, then I think it's the right thing to do.' I was so glad she was on my level. I'd never met someone like her. In the space of just a few weeks it felt like we'd known each other forever. It was horribly cliche but she seemed like the missing part of me I hadn't known was missing until now. 'And I know I've rushed into things before but this time it's right.'

'So we came here for toast. And were leaving here with a bass player, a job and engaged.' I lightened the mood.

'I guess so.'