45.

Even as I told him my story, the truth, he listened patiently, just holding my hand and actually listening. Something no one had done for me in a long time. I thought he might've been scared off, but not once did he seem angry or annoyed. He looked genuinely upset and he'd even cried at one point.

Having said everything out loud, all these secrets that I'd never told anyone before, felt like a massive weight had been lifted from my heart. I knew I didn't have to be ashamed of what had happened. I knew none of this was my fault. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong other than fall in love with the wrong person. I knew all this, but it would take a very long time to get over what I'd been called for four years. What was drilled into my brain.

'Do you think you still love me?' I dared to ask.

'Yes.' He replied with a smile and kissed me again. He was so gentle and affectionate. So different to everything I'd ever known. And it made me fall even harder for him.

I mostly slept for a few days, letting the bruises heal and my body recover. Dan supplied me with food, water, flowers and chocolates, and would comfort me when it all became too much again. He insisted I go to the hospital to be checked over but I knew I'd be fine. I'd suffered this injury many times. I probably had a few broken ribs and internal bruising, but nothing serious. My leg, though painful, wasn't broken like I'd thought. I also wanted to avoid the police getting involved. I wasn't sure the hospital would believe me if I told them I'd fallen down the stairs. I just wanted to forget that chapter of my life and look forward to this new one involving Dan.

I couldn't lie that his confession had terrified me. Why would he love me? We'd only known each other just under a month. And the entire time had been spent him looking after me. What had I done to make him fall in love with someone as hopeless as I? I knew why I'd fallen for him; he'd been the light at the end of the tunnel. He'd rode in on his metaphorical horse and saved me. He'd looked after me and showed me a kindness that I'd forgotten existed. Not to mention how talented and handsome he was. Why wouldn't I have found love in him?

It was in the third day since my trip 'home' that Dan received a phonecall for me. He took a message as I was having a much needed shower, and then shared the good news through the door.

'Guess who has an interveiw for a cleaning company?'

'Really?' I squealed. It had been the most energy I'd expelled in days. I jumped out, wrapped a towel around myself and hugged him happily, soaking him through.

'Those new shoes paid off, hey?' He laughed. I was so happy. This was it. This was things finally going my way. He was back in the studio that day, so left me his credit card so I could buy a few more clothes for my interveiw the next day. I of course protested, but it was with the promise that I cooked dinner that night. I kissed him goodbye, missing him before he'd even shut the front door. It felt odd being alone after three solid days in bed together.

Ten minutes later I got a text to my second new phone.

*I forgot to give it you, but there's a present under the bed x*

*Dan* I responded. I didn't want presents and money.

But I did run up those stairs and dived under the bed. There was a large bunch of flowers with a handwritten note and a box. I knew what they were before I opened it. The red converse chucks. I felt guilty. It had been my theft of these shoes that had set of the chain of events the other day. But he'd still gone out and bought them for me.

I may not always tell you

How much our love means to me

There may not be many letters

Nor words for you to see

But in days when I feel lonely

And sometimes when I'm blue

A smile lights up my face

Because I know there's always you

To remind me that no matter

What begins or how it ends

You will always be there for me

We will always be good friends

So I always hold on to that truth

That warming heartfelt thought

That friends like you are treasures

Life without you would be naught <\i>

*now we can match :)* He text a moment later, referring to his black pair, but I was overcome with tears by the words he'd written. I guess that's what you got when you were with a song writer.

*thank you :)* I clutched them to my chest, wishing he was there to hold instead.