24.

You haven't ruined my life!' I said with a slight chuckle. I rubbed her shoulder gently. 'I'm glad I met you. You're a lovely girl and you haven't deserved any of this, but he's gone now. And we need to get your life back on track.'

Though she was still crying, she managed a small smile. She really was so sweet. I just wanted to make her happy. We'd had such a nice couple of days together in the studio and shopping. She had a wicked sense of humour and was sarcastic as hell. Despite everything she'd been through she still managed to have such a pure soul. Part of me didn't want her to find a job or move out. I could happily of let her stay here, safe, forever. It might've only been a few days since we'd met, a few weird and intense days, but I found myself starting to look at her differently. Not as some poor girl who needed saving. But as a wonderful strong woman who didn't let things keep her down.

She leaned her head against my shoulder, where it seemed to fit so comfortably. I was trying to think of something to say next that wouldn't come across as me hitting on her. I wanted to tell her she was beautiful and funny and strong, but it didn't seem appropriate. So I said nothing.

Our peace was disturbed by the sound of the intercom system buzzing. She bolted up right, her eyes wide with fear.

'Who's that?' She asked.

'I don't know. I-' And then I remembered. I'd invited some friends round for drinks and food. In all the madness of Lily, I'd totally forgotten. What did I say to them about her? It had been easy to lie to Mark but my friends knew everyone in my life. I got up and let them in and quickly explained to Lily who they were.

'Do you want me to go hide upstairs?' She asked. The question struck me as odd.

'Of course not. I want you to meet them.'

She stood nervously by the sofa as I invited the group of two girls and two guys. I'd met them all at uni and we'd all moved to London at the same time. All except Laura. Who they must've known by now I had split up from.

'Hey Dan.' Sarah greeted me with a kiss on the cheek, followed by Sophia. Tom and Phil shook my hand. They spotted Lily right away.

'Whos this?' Phil must've noticed she was wearing my shirt and probably got the wrong idea.

'This is my new housemate, Lily.'

'Housemate?' I could see him adding up that I only had one bedroom.

'Shes crashing on the sofa while she looks for a place to stay.'

'Cool.' He didn't seemed convinced. She stood there quietly as me and my friends caught up on gossip. It was a little while later that Phil took me to one side. 'Is this the reason you and Laura broke up?'

'No, it's not like that. You know I'm not a cheat.'

'I've played poker with you, you're a cheat.'

'Seriously, she needed a place to stay and it's only for a little while. She's just got out of a really bad relationship and had no where to go.'

'Is she just some random girl?'

'No, well, yeah, kind of but she's cool.'

'Watch your back, dude.' He warned. He was eyeing her up as she was talking to Sophia across the room. I appreciated the advice but I didn't take it on board. I didn't have to watch my back. I knew they wouldn't understand.