52.

She was determined that she wouldn't be able to drive. And as we almost hit the car in front, after two hours of practise, I had begun to agree with her. But I wouldn't give up. If it meant paying extra for lessons, then so be it.

'Ok, so, let's just practice the clutch part. Down. Into first. Slowly bring it up and slowly press down the accelerator.'

'Like this?' She looked down at her feet. She was getting them mixed up again.

'Other way round.'

'Right.'

'Left.' I teased her. She punched me in the arm. I rubbed the spot. For someone quite small, she was tough. Once again the car shot forward and then stalled. She threw her arms across the steering wheel and buried her head in them. 'Get out a second.' I told her. She did so, shooting me a confused look. I got out, went round to the drivers side and sat down. I patted my lap.

'Erm.' She laughed.

'Trust me.' She climbed in on top of me, her legs between mine and her head almost touching the roof of the small car. I wrapped my arms around her waist. 'So I'll be the feet. You're steering and changing gear. Got it?'

'Got it.' I controlled the pedals but we didn't move. She'd forgotten the very first step.

'Handbrake.' I coughed. She dropped the handbrake and we began to roll back. I could barely see where we were going but it was her instructing me this time. Luckily the streets were deserted on a Sunday morning in our area. And there were no police around. We only went round the block a few times, the whole time she was giggling excitedly. When we were back home and parked, she turned around awkwardly and kissed me, running her hands through my hair. It drove me wild when she did that. I was infatuated by her. Every thing about her. Her smile, her scent, the softness of her skin. But most of all, her soul. For someone to have been through what she'd faced and come out the other side still able to hold their head high, was remarkable. I felt incredibly lucky to have been blessed with her presence.