29.

The taxi took us to the heart of London, not far from the apartment, but to this wonderful little restaurant that sat in the bank of the river. The sun was still low in the sky and warm, and we sat outside. I couldn't stop smiling. This time a two weeks ago I'd been locked away in a horrible flat in Leeds, fearing for my life and now I was here with this guy. I couldn't believe how lucky I was. I was still waiting to wake up at any moment.

He looked so smart and handsome in his suit. He'd even shaved the stubble and combed his hair. I knew he was a good looking guy, but that night I truly saw what a special man he was. He'd done more than let me into his home; he'd saved my life. I dreaded to think where I could've ended up if I hadn't of met him. I just wondered what the catch was. This kind of thing didn't happen in real life. This was no fairy tale world. Knights in shining armour didn't exist. But knights in smart black suits surely did.

The food was something else. The wine was lovely. The view was stunning. Everything about that moment was just perfect. Even Dan noticed I'd been stunned into silence.

'I haven't heard you not speak for this for long in almost a week.' He laughed. I nodded my head in agreement.

'I hope you've had a good birthday.'

'Definitely one of my top ten. Nothing beats a bouncy castle and ice cream party though.' I could see the joy in his face at the memory. I remembered the parties I'd had as a child, full of friends and cake and presents. The last four hadn't been as good.

'Next year I'll get you a bouncy castle.'

'So you'll still be my friend in a year then?' He asked.

'Well, I hope so.' I told him. He grinned back. I wondered where I'd be in a year. I wanted to get my own place but already the idea of moving out of Dans was saddening. It would take me a few weeks once I'd got a job, but I secretly hoped I could stay as long as I could.

We walked down the river bank, still arm in arm, both of us talking about how nice the food had been. It was such a nice evening. I didn't want it to end.

'There it is.' He said suddenly. I looked around.

'What?' I asked. I followed his pointing finger towards Big Ben. 'Its so big.' I gasped.

'Thats what they all say.' He winked. I slapped his arm but laughed. We walked right up to it, taking it in turns to stand in a photo, until a passerby asked if we'd like one together. Dan looked to me for approval. Of course I'd want a photo of us together, all dressed up nicely in front of a massive clock. We stood side by side, our arms around each others waists and grinning for the camera.

'Lovely couple.' The gentleman said as he took the photo. Neither of us corrected him.

'I'll get that printed.' Dan said as he took his phone back from him. We said thank you and headed for a taxi rank.