15.

I poured maybe a bit too much bubble bath into the running water, but I was so excited about having a bath. A proper bath. Not just a wet dirty flannel with cold water. I got myself undressed after triple checking the door was locked. Not that I didn't trust him. Because I did. This man had let me into his home without a second thought, it was me who shouldn't be trusted. But I didn't want him to accidentally walk in and see my horrible body. I noticed myself in the full length mirror, so pale and thin, my skin painted with purple, blue and yellow stains.

I slid into the hot water and felt my whole body cry out in joy. It felt amazing. I melted into the bubbles and my head went under the water. I could hear my heart whooshing in my ears as I held my breath. I was very tempted to just stay under there. The only thing stopping me from drowning myself in bliss was the fact that Dan would have to find my body and explain why a strange girl had died in his home.

I came up once I'd run out of breath, gasping for air as I wiped my face free from the bubbles. I just lay there, looking around at all the shampoos and body washes, enjoying the absolute peace that had overrode me. I couldn't remember the last time I'd felt this happy. And clean. I washed my hair twice and got the dirt from my fingernails out. I couldn't believe the difference to my mood. I no longer felt as hopeless.

He knocked lightly on the door, making me jump slightly.

'Ive left a few bits of clothes on the bed for you.' He said through the door.

'Ok, thank you.' I called back.

I don't know how long I lay there in the hot, soothing water. I was thinking deeply about the last few days events. I'd gone from fearing for my life to living like a princess.

I'd go out first thing in the morning and try to find myself a job, or at least get signed on so I could claim benefits. The sooner I did that, the sooner I could repay Dan for his kindness. I wondered if he knew just what he'd done? He hadn't just given me a place to crash or a hot meal. He'd shown me that not all the people in the world are horrible. There was still hope out there.

Once my fingers and toes were adequately pruned, it was time to get out.

I wrapped the towel tightly around myself, leaving my hair to dry on its own, and exited the bathroom, checking he wasn't around. He'd pilled a few tshirts and jogging bottoms on the bed, as he'd said. I flicked through them, finding ones small enough to fit me, but still finding myself buried in the materiel. I felt so much better. I was clean, in fresh clothes and my head finally clear.