Small Town

RING!RING!RING!

"Ms. Jameason, you need to wake up now." I heard someone say, with a slight nudge.

 I wiped my eyes and slowly sat up, "Did I fall asleep, again?" I asked pushing my glasses up on my face. 

"Yes, Ms. Jameson, you did. And if you weren't so far ahead in the class I would give you detention." My teacher said my math teacher, Mr. Carson he was somewhat nice if you think constant yelling and child torment is nice.

 "I promise to stay awake next time. I promise." I said gather my things. 

"You better Jameason." He yelled at me, as I ran out of his class.

"Mav, there you are," a somewhat peppy red-head ran to my side. 

"Sorry, I worried you," I said with a yawn. 

"Mav, you have to sleep when you're supposed too, at night," she scowled me. What else should best friends be for? Friendships, secrets, even advice. Try telling my best friend, Hayley Winston, the most popular girls in this school. Her small figure and physical appearance flock people to her. I'm the complete opposite. A dark haired nerd with signature oversized glasses and plaid wear.

"Mav, there's a party this weekend that I want you to come to with me," she blurted out. "We'll need to find you something to wear, and makeup, an..." 

"I'm not going," I said opening my locker and exchanging some books. 

"You never come to parties with me," she whined. I looked over at her as if she was losing her mind.

"The last party you took me too; I was beaten up, almost robbed and potentially raped," I said to her in a stern voice. 

"I do admit that, Becky Hammond's full ragger wasn't the best first party experience," she said sadly. She probably apologized for that incident at least a thousand times.

"I already told you that I was going to your cousin's birthday party with you in Baltimore. What more do you want from me?" I asked her exasperated. 

"That's right!" She said that brightened her spirit right up. 

"Well then we need to go shopping for that then. How's this weekend?" she was as happy as a puppy with a chew toy. 

"I guess that can work," I said and she exploded screaming out of pure joy. 

"Okay! I'll be at your house at 8, tonight," she said before she scurried off to wherever.

I managed to get to my next class before the late bell. "Thank you for joining us, Ms. Jameason." Mrs. Hallowell sneered  at me. 

"What a wonderful day for advanced biology, isn't it?" I asked her and she returned to teaching class.

The average day in the life of Maverick Jameason. Who would want to leave this? I thought to myself before drifting off into sleep.

*****

I ended the week with a total of three teachers having to wake me up, a lunch food fight, having me leave school with spaghetti in my hair. I headed home and unlike Hayley, I walked home.

I was listening to my favorite band, Green Day, when the usual happened. 

"Hey, there dorky," a brown haired said running up behind me. 

"Hi Dwayne," I said as he joined me. 

Dwayne Garrett,my friend since moving here, "You always leave me at school. We're supposed to walk together you know." he said playing with my hair. I just glared at him. "Don't look at me like that," he whined, "Anyway, what are you doing tonight?" he was so excited.