The way it is...

Arthur was about two days out from camp, tired and one can of sweet corn away from starving. He stopped for the night to make camp, Walker was pretty worn out and thanked him for the stop. He had a nice fire going and ate the last can of sweet corn with a grimace. It wasn't that he didn't like it, it was that he'd been eating it so much lately.

After his 'supper', he pulled his journal out of his satchel - it's been his best friend when no one was there, his voice when he couldn't speak; the only true place he could just be himself.

Out 52 miles. In the middle of nowhere, under the stars, looking over a cliff. Wouldn't be out here if it weren't for Strauss. Had me going to way up North to settle a debt with some woman. Almost got my ass killed by her old man. Glad to be by myself though, don't get much privacy anymore.

He laid back on his bed roll and stared up at the sky, watching as the world slowly turned into a new age - one that didn't appreciate men like him anymore. He soon succumbed to a death like sleep, and thankfully so.

It was nearly high noon when his eyes opened, he sat up and stretched his achy limbs. He was getting too old for this, he needed to get out while he was still alive. He had half a mind of taking the money he took back for Strauss and riding off into the sunset, he wasn't about to lose his life collecting debts.

The ride back was the usual, quiet all except for the stomping of the hooves, and the wind whistling in his ears. Just when he thought boredom was setting in, he saw someone up ahead sitting on a rock. He slowed Walker down to a trot and finally to a stop. The girl slowly looked up and he was taken aback by her beauty. Long light brown hair pulled up, dark eyes, tanned skin, full lips, petite nose. He could go on and on about her in his head, but right now he'd like to get to the bottom of a few things.

"You alright, Miss?" He asked.

She shrugged her shoulders, but didn't speak.

Arthur sighed and swung his leg over the saddle, jumping down into a cloud of dust and gravel. He walked around Walker, still holding the reins. He snorted and Arthur patted his neck, assuring him everything was okay.

"You uh, waitin' on somebody?"

She looked up again and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear."No. I was left here by some people I was with."

"Whose that?"

"Thomas Hammond and his band of thieves." She wiped away a stray tear."...They said I was talking too much and to get out of the wagon, he said he'd be back in a few hours to get me."

"Seems a little harsh."

"You think?"

Arthur looked around their surroundings, squinting, then back to her."You gotta name?"

"Lorna Goode. How about you?"

"Arthur Morgan. Pleased to meet ya ma'am."

She faintly smiled.

"Can I give you a lift to town?"

"I don't have any place special to be. I was just...riding around with those fools - probably shouldn't of been."

He sighed."Well you're welcomed to come with me."

She raised a darkened brow."Where to?"

"Clemens Point."

"...Alright." She picked up her bag and handed it to Arthur; he secured it to the back of Walker.

"Ma'am?"

She put her foot in the stirrup and hoisted herself up with the help of Arthur. Once she was securely on the horse, he climbed up behind her. It was a very tight squeeze, an even tighter squeeze with a stranger. They situated themselves enough so that she was on his lap, instead of mushed between the saddle and...well him. She held on to the horn, while he had a tight grip on the reins. His arm placement was a bit awkward with her being in front of him, but they were figuring it all out just fine.