The Black Sheep

The next few days were a little quiet, not much had happened, except chores and more talk of Tahiti. But Lorna knew now that it was all a dream, not to confuse it with reality. Despite knowing this, she didn't have the heart to tell the others. Just because she knew it not to be true, didn't mean she had to spoil it for the others. Maybe that was their one thing to hold on to - the one thing that made their days less difficult. Who was she to make it worse by springing the truth on them?

Mrs. Grimshaw had been reluctant to demand anything out of Lorna, she wasn't sure why but she liked not having to jump when she beckoned. Though she had suspicions that Arthur played a part in that, as he wasn't just one to sit idly by if he knew something was wrong.

Even though the older woman hadnt picked on her lately, she still did chores as expected. However, she was a little slower since fatigue started to set in, but she still managed to get it all done at the end of the day.

Arthur rode back into camp from a hunt with Charles, after he successfully hunted four rabbits and Charles a buck. 13 pointer to be exact. Pearson was extra cheerful after seeing the meat he could use for the stew.

He barely had the chance to unwind from his two day hunt, before Javier informed that John wanted to meet in town, something about extra money. Arthur thanked him with a nod, then turned to Lorna, who was laying down.

"We'll need the money." She pointed out.

"...Just got back." He sighed and took a seat on the bed.

Lorna sat up to meet him, placing her hands on his back."Its fine. I'll still be here."

Arthur's lips tugged up."You're somethin' else, ya know that?"

Lorna smiled and patted his cheek."Go make us money."

"Yes Ma'am." He smirked.

He grabbed his hat on his way out of the tent. He hated leaving when he just got back to camp, but there was always work to be done. He just hoped Marston had a good plan or he'd be fixing to give him another scar. He hoisted himself back on Walker and felt that familiar ache in his lower back and thighs. He'd been riding for far too long.

The ride back to Valentine was numbing. His head was foggy and all he wanted was a nice hot bath, a meal and a bed to sleep in. But since the camp wasn't in a location with four walls and a roof, he had to settle for a bath twice a week at the hotel in town and a nice long ride back to camp for meager stew and a lumpy cot.

He entered the corral where Javier said John would be, jumped off Walker and lead the horse over to the younger man. The last thing he needed was someone accusing him of trying to run them down.

John stood against a few crates, watching the livestock across the court. Arthur hitched Walker up next to Old boy. Patting Walker's neck then Old boy's snout.

"What'd you want?" He asked, walking over.

John looked at him."Got a job for us."

"Doin' what exactly?"

"Herdin' sheep." He pushed off the crate and walked over to Arthur."500 bucks for one herd, we do it twice and we both got some money in our pockets."

"Come up with that all on your own, did ya?"

John rolled his eyes."C'mon, lets just do this. We'll have some money of our own, we can put some money towards camp. Plus, I know ya need the money now with Lorna pregnant."

Arthur looked up from his cigarette."How'd you know 'bout that?"

"I took Lorna to town. She didn't straight out tell me, but she didn't hide it neither."