Together Again!

Arthur slept in the barn that night, wanting nothing more than to write and drink in peace. He hadn't intended on sleeping in the barn, but that's how things turned out.

He smelled bad, like whiskey and sweat. A quick dip in the creek was in order it seemed. Truth be told, this would be his second bath since they started working on the ranch.

As he emerged from the barn, stiff from having slept on the ground, he heard his name being called. He ignored it, figuring it was just John or Uncle coming to bother him again, until his brain finally registered the voice. His breath hitched in his throat, as he turned around.

"L...Lorna." He breathed.

They stared at each other for a moment, before his feet stumbled over each other. He felt like a newborn animal, learning to walk for the first time. He just couldn't contain his shock and excitement enough for his legs to coordinate with his brain.

He stopped just before he reached her though, taking in the moment, as if to make sure it was really real. Lorna dropped her bags and leapt into Arthur's arms, knocking his hat off in the process. He held on to her tightly, lifting her up off her feet.

"God, I-I missed you." He whispered.

She had no words, she simply relished the feel of his arms around her and his warm words in her ear. She cried on his already soiled shirt, then rested her head against his chest; listening to his heart beat. It was the finest music she had ever heard.

Arthur fought back tears of his own, but found it impossible once Lorna laid her head on his chest. It was something she always did and it meant more to him than any words did.

When she pulled away, he brushed her hair back as he cupped her face. She was so beautiful, even as the tears streamed down her face.

"I love you." He whispered as he pressed his lips to hers.

She kissed back with equal vigor, gripping at his soiled blue striped shirt. She'd been dreaming of this moment ever since he left and it was even better than she had imagined.

"Daddy!" Lily and William both exclaimed.

Sadie was trying to keep them occupied so Lorna and Arthur could have a moment together, and the look on her face said she tried. Arthur certainly didn't care, as he was pulling away from Lorna and dropping to his knees with his arms wide open.

Lily and William ran into his waiting arms, nearly knocking him over. But that didn't matter to him, they were his babies.

"I missed you!" Lily kissed his face, then her nose scrunched."You stink, Daddy."

He laughed as he sat cross legged with both children in his lap."I was goin' to take a bath, but then I heard your momma and I couldn't resist her."

She breathed a laugh."Arthur."

"The place looks real nice!" Sadie complimented.

Arthur nodded."Yeah, well, it ain't hard to read instructions."

"Yeah, who read 'em?"

"Uncle did. I'm about tired of his lazy a - uh, self," He patted Lily and William's back."C'mon, uh, let's go see the new house."

Lorna lent him a hand as the kids ran to the barn first. He smirked as he grabbed her hand, knowing he could easily topple her over. He grabbed his hat and stood to his feet, thanking her with another kiss.

"You really do stink, you should probably take a bath...like now."

He scoffed."Well I never-"

"Oh hush," She nudged him with her elbow."Show me the house and the barn and then I'll accompany you to a bath."