The Past and New Beginnings II

Lorna sat on a smooth rock overlooking the water, while examining her new ring. She wore it on her right hand as to not rush things before their time, or make it seem like she was wishing it were an engagement ring. She did wish it meant something more, but the fact that he thought of her when he saw it was enough.

"Lorna?"

She glanced up and nodded at Thomas, who'd found his way over without getting an earful from Mrs. Grimshaw.

"Can I sit with you?" He asked.

"Sure." She scooted over some and he took a seat next to her. She folded her hands in her lap.

"So uh." He scratched above his brow."When you fixin' to have that baby?"

"Soon, within a month or so. I haven't been to see a Doctor since Valentine, can't really say for sure."

He nodded and looked down at the wet sand and gravel beneath his feet, suddenly wishing that it was his baby inside of her. He messed up, yes, but he wished she'd given him a second chance. Did he deserve one? Probably not, but he changed for the better and she knew that, hell, they all knew. But because he rode with Colm and was kin to him, they didn't trust him - he was surprised that they even trusted her.

"Arthur treating you good, I hope?"

She snorted."Compared to who?"

Thomas snorted. He probably deserved that one too. However he was still curious, she used to be his girl, which he never had the chance to get over. And having to watch her float around camp with another man's baby inside of her, knowing their engagement wasn't even properly called off, was not an easy thing. That hurt and jealousy bubbled at the surface now.

"I just want to make sure he ain't...like...me."

"No you don't have to worry about that." She assured, placing a hand on her belly."He never makes me cry."

"Why do you keep bringin' up the past, Lorna? Ain't we passed that yet-"

"No!" She snapped."We will never be! You left me in the middle of nowhere, I could've been raped or killed, but you didn't care! You listened to Colm, you always listened to him! You never gave a damn about me!"

He leapt to his feet, pointing a finger."That's bullshit and you know it!"

"Do I really Thomas? I never knew what bullshit you'd spout off at me, what lies you'd tell me just to get me in bed! I was young and stupid, I'll admit that, but you took advantage of my naivety and my family let you. You only wanted me because of what I had, not because of me."

"And you think he don't want you for your money?"

"If he did care, he would've already married me."

Thomas scoffed.

Arthur knew Lorna's family was rich; big tobacco farmers in California. But never once did he ask for her hand - he didn't want that and she could understand why. Marriage was a bunch of legal nonsense that took the fairytale part right out of it.

She never felt that he was in it just for her inheritance, no, he loved her for who she was and what she tolerated of him. Lorna could easily leave and live in the lap of luxury with their baby, but she loved Arthur and accepted everything about him.

"You have nothing on him Thomas and you never will. We love each other and you cant stand it." She pushed herself up from the rock and shuffled away from him, but stopped and turned back around."We could've had a nice life together, but you chose Colm. In the end, you forgot what mattered most."

"Yeah? What's that?" He challenged.

She shook her head in disbelief."Loyalty. Love. Patience. You never had any of those things, not for me anyhow and because of that, you're alone and it's my belief that you always will be."