Better Days

Arthur made it to Carmody Dell and rode past the farm Mary mentioned. He still couldnt believe he was running errands for his ex-lover, but then again he always had a soft spot for helping out others.

He climbed the small hill and saw a few tents set up along side a campfire. There were people sitting around cross legged all dressed in white. Arthur rolled his eyes as he hitched Walker to a nearby tree. He felt awkward as he approached the group of people, not knowing what to really expect.

"Uh, s'cuse me."

The men in white spun around and backed away from him, as if he were some kind of a leper. Arthur would've laughed had he not seen Jamie first.

"W-What do you want?"

Arthur scratched behind his ear."Uh, I need to speak with Jamie-"

"He is no longer Jamie. He is Yellow spring."

The outlaw chuckled."Alright, then I need to speak with Yellow spring."

"He's not obligated to speak with any outsiders."

"Why dont you let him speak for himself."

Everyone turned to Jamie and waited. The boy held up his hands and began backing away, Arthur was beginning to wonder if they ever uttered a single word to anyone not affiliated with them.

"Jamie-"

"I dont wanna speak to you!"

"Your sister is real worried about you!" He tried.

"If she was then why did she send you?"

Cause I'm a fool. Arthur shook his head and looked to the others, still gawking at him like he was some kind of two headed creature.

"What?"

"You seem hostile." The leader said in a calming tone.

"I wasnt till I came here!"

"You should think about something you enjoy. Like bird watching, counting clouds, the trees-"

He huffed impatiently."Turtles...I like turtles."

"Turtles?"

"Yeah." He nodded.

"Okay then, if turtles make you...happy, think of them. Breathe in and breathe out, inhale the positive exhale the negative. But always keep your focus on the turtle."

"I...dunno, I ain't one to mediate on one thing or another."

"You should."

Arthur turned back to Jamie."Your sister is worried about ya son, might wanna come home."

"No!" He ran to a horse and raced it down the hill.

Arthur cursed and chased after him, jumping on Walker and racing him down the hill after Jamie. Why this kid always gave him trouble every time they saw each other, he'll never know!

The kid was shouting out expletives and firing off warning shots with his gun. Arthur really didnt have time for this shit, he could be back at camp with Lorna talking about their future. But dammed if he wasn't a push over!

As they neared the tracks, a train came barreling through. It looked as if the kid might jump on, but he rode along side it. Arthur kept close to Jamie, while minding how close he was to the train.

"Jamie!" He growled."Stop!"

"Go to hell!"

He didn't have to, he was already in hell! When the train veered off to the left, Jamie ran over the tracks, Arthur pushed Walker all he could before the horse started making awful sounds. He was tired.