All The Pretty Horses

"Arthur!" John yelled.

The former gunslinger spun around on his heel, as a black Arabian barreled toward him at full speed. His brain couldn't process what was happening, not until the moment before impact, when it finally processed and he dove into some tall grass.

The horse continued it's frantic stampede throughout the meadow, probably plotting John and Arthur's death somehow.

John rushed over to Arthur, who was still sitting on the ground; stunned. He stopped just before him, watching closely until Arthur lifted his dirt covered face to the sky, shading his eyes from the sun.

"What'd you do to the horse?"

"Nothing!"

"Bullshit!" Arthur slowly pushed himself up, grunting."Ya must've done somethin' ya idiot!"

"I didn't do shit, Arthur. It's wild, it got spooked!"

Arthur brushed off as much dirt as he could, before retrieving his hat that lay forgotten in a bed of wildflowers. He turned back to John, his face flustered as he replaced his hat back on his head.

"Well Mr. Geddes wants the damn horse, so we better get 'em!"

"How we gonna do it?"

Arthur heaved a sigh."Well for starters, I ain't puttin' you in charge."

They walked to the hill that overlooked the rest of the meadow, using binoculars to help pinpoint the black Arabian's exact location. It was easier said than done, as it seemingly vanished.

John took the East as Arthur took the West, both staying awfully still and quiet for fear they may spook it again. That was until John decided to speak.

"So uh," John cleared his throat."I ain't tryin' to be intrusive or nothing, but how's you and Lorna's uh...um, love life?"

Arthur lowered the binoculars with a scowl on his face."Why?"

He ran his hand over his raven black hair."I uh, I need some advice in that area...I guess."

"Why'd you come to me then?"

"Cause you're the only other one I can ask. I ain't about to ask my boss," With a grunt, he looked down at the grey cap in his hands."Me an' Abbey, we uh, we ain't been right in those terms."

"What kinda advice you lookin' for?"

"What can I do to get me an' her in the right mood?" He shook his head with an agitated laugh."Women are so Goddamn complicated it ain't even funny."

Arthur chuckled."I'm forty-three and I ain't figured 'em out yet, don't feel bad."

"Well what can I do? I'm losin' my mind here, Arthur."

"Well," Arthur stuffed the binoculars back in his satchel."Probably ain't gonna work with the kids hangin' around, so drop them off at our place for the night."

He nodded his head,"Go on."

"Be nice to her, compliment her, kiss her. And not just a quick kiss on the lips neither - Lorna likes to be kissed just under her ear, it drives her wild." He shrugged his shoulders."But not all women are alike. Gotta try new things, test it out a little."

"Sometimes I think I'm the worst husband in the world."

"You are." Arthur playfully shoved him."Nah I'm just kiddin', you ain't so bad. Just gotta work on technique and you and her, you'll be back on track in no time."

"Thing is," John began, pausing a moment."We're good, I know where everything goes, where everything is - we just ain't been right with each other. I'dunno, maybe it is the kids bein' there."