Just a Memory

Arthur felt guilty for not telling Lorna about the letter, but the less she knew the better off she was. She didn't need to stress about Mary Linton. He shouldn't of had to stress about her either, but she always found a way back into his life. And he always let her.

Mary was in Saint Denis to help her father out, the old bastard that he was. He knew she needed him for something, but he couldn't be the kind of person not to help. He did love her once very much. 

He had many dreams for Mary and himself, and after he proposed to her, those dreams seemed to look more and more likely. Until one day it didn't.

In some ways, he transferred those dreams on to Lorna, and one of them came true. The others would have to wait a while. He hated that he couldn't give Lorna the world, hated himself even more for putting her in this situation when nothing was certain.

He'd go visit Mary in the morning, when he was well rested and had a proper bath. He'd planned to get a bath anyhow, but now there was more of a reason. He was headed into high society, it'd be best if he didn't smell of death and whiskey.

Arthur stared at himself in the mirror, glancing over his appearance once more. He didn't look like a high class fella, no, it showed that he was poor. He certainly felt out of place, much like a wolf in a herd of sheep. Maybe he should've listened to Dutch; she was too good for him, he should leave while his heart was still intact.

Mr. Gillis stumbled down the stairs holding a bottle, wreaking as if he hadn't bathed in weeks. Perhaps he hadn't. Arthur didn't feel so bad after all. The old man stopped just before he tumbled into the hearth, glancing up, his blue eyes rimmed red and laughed.

"W...Who is this?" He slurred.

Mary frowned."Daddy, this is Arthur Morgan. We've been seeing a lot of each other lately and I wanted to introduce you to him."

"Mr. Gillis." Arthur stuck out his hand.

The old drunk stared at his hand, before his blue eyes flickered up to meet his. He laughed again and shook his head, stumbling into a stiff looking couch. Arthur frowned and dropped his hand back to his side.

"Daddy, maybe you should-"

"Don't tell me what to do, little girl!" He snarled, throwing his hands around.

Mary flinched and looked to Arthur."M-Maybe you should go, I have to help him."

Arthur nodded and leaned down to kiss Mary, but stopped when he remembered her father was watching. His eyes met the old man and gave a curt nod. Mary took Arthur's hand and lead him outside on to the porch, shutting the door behind them.

"I'm sorry, he does this a lot. I think Momma's death really hurt him."

He wanted to say something, anything, but couldn't find the right words. He knew what it was like to have a bastard for a father, and he was grateful that he didn't have to introduce him to anyone, especially Mary.

"We can meet in town later and have dinner?"

He nodded and leaned down, pressing a kiss to her plump lips. She smiled and touched his face. He stood back up and reached into his vest pocket, his heart strumming against his chest. He pulled out a ruby red ring with a gold band, took Mary's left hand in his and slid the ring on her finger. He moved so quickly she didn't have much time to protest.

"Uh, I-I want you to marry me." He swallowed thickly."You're a good girl and you'd make a good wife. My wife."

Her face softened and she cupped his face, pulling him down for another kiss. Arthur assumed she accepted the proposal, however shitty it was. As she pulled away from the kiss, wisps of black hair falling in front of her hazel eyes, he could hear his heart pounding in his ears.