Fortunate Son

It was a sticky situation trying to get out of Tall Trees. Some bounty hunters were patrolling the road they needed to follow, so they ended up taking a detour into the woods. They managed to find the road after a few miles, but by that time they were already out of Blackwater jurisdiction.

They stopped at Wallace Station to check the train schedule, before riding up to Strawberry. They still had a few hours to kill, so they decided to check in on an old friend who lived just on the outskirts of town.

Adam Tillman was a long time friend of Hosea and Dutch; Trelawny introduced them one night at a Saloon back in Montana. He rode with the gang for a few months, before responsibility called him home. He was a loyal family man and took it seriously. No funny business he used to say and he meant it.

"Wonder if he changed at all?" Arthur wondered aloud.

Hosea chuckled."I imagine so. We all have."

And Hosea was right. Adam aged forty years, it seemed. Grey hair, grey scraggly beard. His skin worn and leathery with crows feet around his eyes and deep creases in his forehead. Life hadn't been kind to him.

He introduced them to his wife Belle and their four children, all in their late teens, early twenties. He was so very proud of them, boasting about all their accomplishments.

Afterward, they retreated to his barn to talk about a few things, unbeknownst to Arthur. He just assumed this was a social call, not a business meeting. But Hosea was always thinking on his feet, something Arthur gained from him. Something Dutch could stand to learn.

"So what do I owe the pleasure, Hosea?"

Hosea leaned against a wooden beam."We have a business proposal for you."

Arthur raised a brow."We do?"

Hosea nodded. Adam turned and leaned against the wall opposite of them, clutching his suspenders.

"Well go on with it?"

Hosea scratched his cheek."Well Arthur here, is thinking of buying a piece of property down in Tall Trees, but seeing how we arent exactly wanted there by the lot, we need a distraction."

Adam nodded his head."And what were you thinking?"

"I need you and Trelawny to ride down to Blackwater and start a rumor...let's say that things went south with the Van Der Linde gang and Arthur is among the dead-"

"What'd you do wrong in Blackwater?"

Arthur shook his head."Let's just say, it weren't good."

Adam chuckled."That bad, huh?"

"Listen, Adam, if you're not going to do it, we'll just have Trelawny do it."

"No no no, I'll do it!" He waved his hands around.

"Very well then." Hosea stuck out his hand."We'll pay you for your troubles."

"That'd be kind of you, old friend." He grasped Hosea's hand."Thank you."

"Here." He dug a few dollars out of his pocket."Go get cleaned up and some nice clothes. Blackwater is a progressive town, you'll want to look like you know what you're talking about."

"Of course." He chuckled, stuffing the money in his pocket."I'll send a telegram to Trelawny."

"We'll be seeing you." Hosea called out as they mounted their horses.

Arthur tipped his hat to the older man and followed Hosea out. He was still stunned at how savvy he was with words; he could con the pitchfork right out of the devil's hand if he wanted. Not that it was something to brag about, of course.