33

"Hey, I haven't seen you much today. How was your day?" Shawn asked me when I slid into his passenger seat.

"Boring. I had detention at lunch because I forgot my pen in Biology" I complained.

"That's so stupid" he agreed. "Also I have something to ask you" he added.

"What is it?" I wondered, cringing at the thought of it causing more drama between us. Shawn and I were back to normal now, whatever our normal was, so I didn't want anything to ruin it.

"My friends Jack and Jack are throwing a party at their house tomorrow, and I was wondering if you'd want to come?" he asked.

I mentally sighed when I realised it wasn't a bad question, but then I cringed at the thought of going to a house party. It didn't exactly end well last time.

"So what do you think?" he repeated.

"Um" I began, looking down at my hands and playing with them due to nervousness.

Suddenly Shawn grabbed my hands and held them in his.

"I understand. You don't have to come" he assured me.

I looked up to meet his eyes and he was showing a slight smile, so I did one in return.

"Thank you" I blushed. "But I'll think about it. I might not even be aloud to go"

"Why not?" he asked, letting go of my hands and beginning to drive. The sudden absence of his warmth made me immediately cold.

"I'm grounded" I answered honestly. But after the words escaped my mouth I immediately regretted it, because I couldn't tell him why.

"What did you do?" he gasped.

I couldn't think of a good excuse in the small amount of time I had, so I just blurted whatever first came to mind.

"I-Uh... broke my brother's laptop"

"Really?" he laughed. "How'd you do that?"

"Oh, I just spilt... orange juice on it" I lied.

"You're a funny one Maya. Oh and there's one more thing" he added.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Our music project is due in next week so we really need to work on it" he explained. "Do you want to come over to mine on Sunday?"

"Yeah sure" I answered as we pulled up to his driveway. "I've got to go but I'll message you later about the party tomorrow"

"Okay" he nodded.

We both then parted our ways and went home. I opened the door to see my mom alone in the living room, so I took it as an opportunity to ask about the party.

"Mom?" I asked.

"That tone of voice means you want something. What is it?" she smirked.

"How did you know?" I laughed.

"I know you too well Maya. Now, tell me"

"Okay. I was just wondering if I was aloud to go to this thing with Shawn tomorrow" I began.

"What thing?" she asked.

"A... party" I cringed.

"Maya. Do you really think that's a good idea? After last time?" she genuinely wondered.

"I think it is" I shrugged. "It will help me get over it"

It took her a while to respond, and I could tell she was thoroughly debating her decision.

"You can go" she agreed. "But I'm only letting you because I know Shawn will look after you this time"

"He will. Thank you" I beamed, embracing her in a hug.

maya
i'm aloud!!!

shawn
yes!!! can't wait:)