48 (the last chapter)

Back to Maya's point of view:

I woke up feeling mentally and emotionally drained, so I went on a run to clear my head. I just ran for about an hour, nowhere specific, just anywhere that I felt the need to go.

When I returned home, my mom and dad called me into the living room.

"Maya, honey?" she called.

"Yeah" I bluntly replied, walking into the room.

"Shawn came by earlier" Dad began. "He came over, to basically beg us not to leave"

Shawn is so sweet. I do not deserve him.

"Oh" I nodded.

"He is a very nice boy. You should keep him" he smiled.

Seriously? Is he trying to get me angry.

"Is this some kind of joke?" I asked. "You know that if we move we can't ever be together"

"I know" he shrugged. "But we're not moving"

As soon as those words processed in my mind, my heart dropped and tears escaped my eyes.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

"It's true" my Mom smiled. "We're staying"

"We realised that we needed a fresh start, and there's a house for sale around the corner so-"

"Oh my god" I gasped, interrupting their explanation. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

I quickly took them both into a hug, and then threw my hands over my mouth in shock. My heart was beating 100 miles per hour. I couldn't believe what was happening-

Shawn! I need to tell him. My parents began to talk again but I immediately just sprinted out of the room and out of the house.

I ran faster than I ever had in my life. I was just so excited.

When I reached the Mendes house I furiously knocked on the door, and within a few seconds his mom answered.

"Oh, Maya. Is it time to say goodbye already?" she asked, with a sad tone in her voice.

"No- I- I just have to speak to Shawn" I told her, speaking so quickly that I was out of breath.

She didn't even have time to reply before I ran into the house and up the stairs.

"Shawn?" I called out.

I burst through his bedroom door and he was laying down in a slump, staring at the wall.

"Maya?" he gasped, looking up at me.

I didn't say a word, I just jumped on top of him and embraced him in the tightest hug possible.

And that day, was the beginning of the best year of my life.

Until it all ended.