Chapter 17: Pisces

Pisces ran home as fast as he could. The man in the white and green jacket had saved his life and he would always be grateful. Maybe he'd even be able to pay him back someday.

He turned the corner and saw his house in the distance...

It was on fire.

"What? What!?" He fell to his knees and watched the blaze. His home! He slowly got to his feet - maybe his parents were fine. They had escaped, right? He didn't know what he'd do without them.

Breathing heavily, he ran over and saw a number of people with buckets full of water trying to calm the blaze.

"Mum! Dad!" He screamed, as he got nearer to his house.

"Pisces!" He heard. He immediately felt relieved - his mother had called his name. He found her in the arms of a man, coughing violently.

He ran over and hugged her, already in tears. "I thought you died. Don't die on me. Please..." he pleaded. His mother kissed his forehead.

"Pisces... your father..." she stammered. He looked up at her face and saw her brown eyes in tears. He knew what it meant and he began to sob. "I'm so sorry..." she breathed into his ear. He didn't blame her, of course it wasn't her fault. It didn't stop the pain and he continued to sob.

"Pisces, listen to me... you need to escape," his mother told him.

He looked at her in shock? "What? Why?" He asked, as they both got to their feet. What did he have to escape from?

"You have to escape. Find Mordecai - he has brown eyes, absurdly long hair, a white and green jacket, is pretty tall and lithe. Fine him - he'll keep you safe!" She had described the man that had saved Pisces's life twice! Was it a coincidence or had he been following him around?

"From who? From what?" Pisces broke down in tears again. He didn't want to leave his mother. He didn't want to believe she was asking him to go.

"My son, demons are on the way and they all want your head. Escape, now!" She said,  as men took her away to question her about the fire. "I'll live Pisces - just go!" She called.

Pisces stood for a few seconds in place, not knowing where to go or what to do. He heard a bloodcurling roar and saw two monsters on the other end of the street.

His eyes widened. They hadn't seen him yet, but they were killing people!

He took off running, with no idea where to head. He thought hard as he ran aimlessly through back streets and alleyways, until it came to him.

His sword! The hiding place.

He wasn't too far off, so he altered his course and headed in the direction to the forest. He was sure the two men he had seen before were demons and when Rezar had saved him for the first time, he had sent them back to where they came from. He hoped he would be able to kill the half-man and half-bull monster..

Thankfully, no one stopped Pisces and he hasn't seen another demon. He needed to get his sword, so at least he had something.

He carried on running breathlessly, not allowing himself to stop till he got to the tree that contained his sword. He found it, just up ahead, exactly as he left it.

He ran up to the tree and put his hand in it, fishing around till he found his sword scabbard.

Relieved at feeling it in his hands, he pulled it out pretty easily. He put the scabbard on his back, as it had a strap that attached to his chest. The sword went on his right side, so he could draw it with his right hand.