Those Two

Cross sighed as he placed down his cards. "Alright, seriously!! You're DEFINITELY cheating!!" He snapped at his ghostly companion. Chara blinked at him innocently. "No, don't give me that look, I KNOW you have a three!" He said. Chara sighed and rolled their eyes before they threw the card over at Cross. Cross huffed and took it. He hated this game. How long had it even been since Ink's visit? He didn't know. He set his cards down, rubbing the side of his skull. All of a sudden, he felt something wrap around him and he yelped as he was yanked backwards.

"Having trouble, Cross??" Cross went dark purple at the bubbling, deep voice. He turned to look up at Nightmare, who blinked down at him with one darkened eye. The other was coated in a thick, black substance that resembled tar. His entire body was coated, though he appeared to be wearing a hoodie, shorts and slippers. The classic Sans outfit. One of his thick tentacles was wrapped around Cross' chest, sliding gently over his ribs. Cross shivered and gulped before scowling. He knew Nightmare loved teasing him.

"Only because Chara cheats!!" He exclaimed. Chara rolled their eyes and drifted up, complaining that the game was stupid anyway. They turned and faded away. Cross knew why. It wasn't because Chara was so annoyed, they'd decided to leave. It was because of what he had to ask Nightmare. He shook Nightmare off and stood, crossing his arms. "So why are you here? Just visiting?"

"I sensed some distress from here earlier. What was that about?" His tentacles were stretched out behind him like four, demonic dragonfly wings. They wriggled almost impatiently.

"Oh... Ink was here earlier-" He jumped as Nightmare let out a bubbling hissing noise.

"Did he hurt you?!" Nightmare asked quickly. Cross blinked at him in surprise before his cheeks dusted a light purple and he shook his head.

"No, no, nothing like that!" He said quickly. Nightmare seemed to relax and Cross was momentarily taken back at how angry the other had gotten. He felt a tugging in his chest. He shook it off and gave an uncertain smile. "He... wanted me to ask you something... and it's something pretty important."

Nightmare blinked at him before growling, seeming irritated. "Why would he use you to ask me?? Why wouldn't that coward just ask me himself??" His tentacles whipped around angrily. Cross blinked.

"Well, I think it's because it was literally a NIGHTMARE the last time you two saw each other." Cross pointed out. Nightmare scowled. He shook his head and sighed.

"What does he want?" He stated flatly. Cross blinked. He motioned for Nightmare to sit down as he sat down himself. Nightmare blinked before hesitantly doing so, furrowing his brow.

Several minutes later, Nightmare had gone still. Cross seemed hesitant to ask if he was okay. "So... Ink wants to know... if you can track her by her pain." He finished, gulping. Nightmare was wide-eyed.

"What does she look like?" He asked, seeming more shocked than anything. Cross opened his mouth to answer before pausing. Wait. Ink hadn't told him what she looked like. He slowly closed his mouth, unable to answer him. Nightmare noticed and looked down. "I think I've met her..." He murmured. Cross blinked at him in shock.

"You HAVE?? When??" He asked. Nightmare blinked and looked up at him.

"A while ago. She did ask me to kill her." He seemed to recall the memory vaguely. "It was... before I became... like this..." He held out his hands, showing his goopy body. Cross was wide-eyed. "And... that was... a long time ago..." He seemed baffled. He closed his eye before looking down. "I'm not sensing any major pain from anywhere. I can sense it if it's in groups. Like, a mass panic." Nightmare explained it carefully.

Cross sighed and nodded. "Well... thanks anyway, I guess." He said. He was somewhat disappointed. Even though he'd never met her, he just wanted her to find peace. Cross was snapped back to reality as he felt something wrap around his body. He yelped as Nightmare suddenly yanked him close with one of his tentacles. The other studied Cross' bright purple face with one eye.

"Apologies, you just looked so disappointed." Nightmare purred. His tentacles moved out, sliding under and over Cross, even going as far as to slip up into his coat and stroke the back of his spine. Cross jumped, gasping shakily, as Nightmare gave a teasing grin. "Are you better...?" Cross could only manage a shaky squeak. Nightmare chuckled and let him go. Cross fell back on the ground. He stared at Nightmare as the other stood, his face burning. Nightmare's head suddenly lifted and he scowled.

"Cross??" Imemdiately, Cross whipped around to see Dream. Dream was Nightmare's brother. He was dressed in bright blue and yellow, his golden eyes matching the crown that glinted in his head. Yellow boots were paused uncertainly on the white floor. Nightmare hissed at him. "Brother?" Nightmare turned away. "Brother! Wait! Please!" Nightmare sank down into the floor, leaving Cross and Dream behind. Cross heard Dream let out a regretful sigh. Then, he heard the other kneel next to him. He looked over and jumped at how close Dream was to him. His face went purple again. "Are you okay? He didn't hurt you, did he?? I mean, I doubt he did, but..." Dream trailed off.

Cross shook his head. "I... had to talk to him about something..." He said quickly. Dream seemed relieved by that and smiled. Cross felt his blush spread. Stars, what were these two DOING to him?! Dream blinked and stood, holding out a yellow-gloved hand for Cross. Cross sighed and took it, standing up. He thanked the smaller. Dream gave him a smile and Cross quickly hid his face in his fluffy hood. He absentmindedly traced the scar on his cheek for a second, his bony fingers dipping into the thin, jagged cut.

"Can... I ask what...?" Dream seemed careful to word it. Cross couldn't help but chuckle. He knew Dream wasn't trying to be nosy. He was just concerned for him. He blinked and thought of something. Did Dream know about Scooter? He glanced at the other and accidentally met his gaze. He turned away again. "Cross??"

"I... want to ask you something... and if you don't want to answer, you don't have to, but..." He turned back to Dream, who seemed taken back. Cross slowly came up out of his fluff. "Do you know... about Scooter?" He jumped as Dream's eye sockets suddenly went black. He silently took that as a yes. For a moment, he felt cold nothingness from Dream. That scared him. He gulped. "Dream...?" Slowly, two little dots of light came back into Dream's eyes as he nodded.

"I-I'm sorry... I... I need to sit..." Cross yelped as Dream dropped, sitting down. Cross quickly knelt next to him with wide eyes. Dream gulped and pulled his knees up to himself. "I... I take it she's been spotted then..."

"I mean... that's what Ink told me... I haven't met her." Cross said, trying to help Dream by supplying him with information. Dream gulped and nodded slowly, closing his eyes. Then, to Cross' shock, Dream began to cry softly. Cross was taken back for a moment, unsure of what to do. Finally, he leaned forward and hugged Dream. He went purple as he felt Dream wrap his arms around him after a moment.

Dream finally pulled back, wiping his eyes. "Sorry... I... I tend to get emotional when I hear about her... She didn't deserve this fate..." He gave a weak smile and Cross quickly surpressed the urge to hug him again. Cross shook his head, silently agreeing. "Do... you mind if I stay for a bit...? I... I think I need rest..." Cross quickly stated he didn't mind.

"I'm sorry for bringing that up... It seems to be a sore topic..." Cross apologized quietly. He jumped, going bright purple as Dream laid against his side, his head on Cross' shoulder. Cross froze and was internally screaming. What did he do?? Should he just stay like this?? This had never happened before.

"I don't know why you two were talking about her, but I'm sure it's for a good reason..." Dream murmured. Cross nodded, quickly affirming that it was. He relaxed and rested his head on his knees. This was nice.

He stared out into the white space, briefly wondering what was happening outside, in the Multiverse.