Bothered

Later that night, Phil dropped off Evan at home. His shoulders were slumped as he entered the house.

This week's visit with his sister didn't go too well and that was all thanks to Michael's parents. Well, more specifically his mother.

Evan was greeted by Lola. He smiled a little and patted the top of her head. Lola jumped up and licked his face.

Jessica was still over at Sarah and Lily's house.

Evan then walked over to the living room to think. He sat down on the sofa and Lola laid her head on Evan's lap. Lola could sense that Evan was feeling a bit down. He was really beginning to get into his own head.

Maybe she is right. Evan thought to himself. I'm not going to be able to take care of baby. I don't know the first thing about taking care of a baby! Up until I met Jessica I could hardly take care of myself. I'm too slow. This was a bad idea! Maybe we should have terminated the baby. What if I drop the baby? What if I hurt it?!

Evan's mind raced for what felt like 100 miles a second. Michael's mother had planted the seed of doubt in Evan's head and now Evan was doubting himself about being a good father.

Twenty minutes later, the front door opened.

"Evan?" Jessica's yelled out.

Evan didn't answer, but she knew that he was home.

"Evan?" Jessica said as she entered the living room.

She saw Evan staring into space. She furrowed her brows and walked over to sit next to him.

Jessica sat down and put her hand on Evan's arm. Evan finally snapped out of reverie.

"Are you okay?" Jessica asked.
"Yeah...I just...I feel tired." Evan replied. "I think I'm going to go up to bed now."
"Evan, are you sure?" Jessica asked again, worriedly. "Something is bothering you. I can tell."

"Jessica, I am fine. Just tired." He said sternly. "Goodnight."

Evan stood up from the sofa and left the room.

Jessica shocked because he didn't even kiss her goodnight. He would always give her a kiss before bed.

Jessica sighed sadly, wondering what was going on with Evan. She stroked her belly, the baby kicking from within.

Jessica then broke out of her thoughts and decided to call Phil. Maybe he would tell her what was wrong with her husband.

She just hoped that Phil had gotten home already.

She picked up the phone that was in the living room and dialed Phil's phone number. After five rings, Phil answered the phone.

"Hello?" Phil said.
"Hi, Phil. It's Jessica." She said.
"Hi, Jessica, what can I do for you?" He asked. Although he had a feeling what it was. He too noticed Evan's attitude change this evening.

"Did something happen at dinner?" She asked.
"It's just that, Evan seems a little down. I asked him what was wrong and he didn't tell me." She sighed. "He seems a little on edge. I'm worried."

Phil sighed too then said. "I figured this was the reason for your call. I don't know what happened. Everything was fine then, Evan offered to bring in the dessert from the kitchen. Also at that time? Michael's mother had to use the bathroom. I...I know I don't have any proof or anything. But I believe she has something to do with it. I think she may have said something to him but I'm not sure what. Evan returned from the kitchen and a few seconds later, Michael's mother followed behind."

Jessica disliked Michael's mother, but she was respectful whenever she was around her.

Now however, if this was true that Michael's mother had something to do with her husband's mood change, her dislike for the woman would certainly intensify.

Jessica sighed then replied. "I'll try to get through to him. He'll tell me soon."
"If not, I too will try." Phil said. "For now, just give him some space."

Jessica and Phil spoke for a few for minutes then Jessica said goodbye.

That night, Jessica gave Evan his space. It hurt her to not say goodnight to Evan or give him a kiss, but she knew he needed some time.

Before bed, Jessica made her mission to get to the bottom of what had happened at Emily's house. She swore if she couldn't get through to Evan in the upcoming week, then she would certainly go over to Emily's and ask Michael's mother exactly what happened.